1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Convert Hard Disk to FAT32.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jglong3, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jglong3

jglong3 Thread Starter

Hello,

Thanks for your time, help, and advise,,,, :) :)

Using W98SE with a Hard Disk Drive (a FAT 16) of about 1.5 Gig.
    (an old Aspire/Acer System circa 1996).

System runs as expected with no problems from the Hard Disk.

There are some Clusters Marked Bad in the FAT.

If the Microsoft convert FAT16 to FAT32 is run it displays an error saying it will not convert if drive has a "BAD CLUSTER MARK" and documentation at Microsoft mentions this is by design(????).

There are no special routines on this system that mark a cluster bad for it's own use.

Also, the Registry was set to force the Microsoft SCAN DISK to Retest the "Bad Cluster", but it continues to mark these bad.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion
    /Applets/Check Crive/Settings = , , , 04

So, it appears these are bad clusters and all seem to be at the end of the drive.

Is there a application available that will do the FAT16 to FAT32 conversion even with a "BAD CLUSTER MARK" and still preserve the data that is currently on the drive????

THANKS for your time, help, and advise!!!! :) :)

Jerry

2. pip22

pip22

With a drive of only 1.5GB it's somewhat pointless converting from FAT16 to FAT32 even if it were possible on a damaged partition. FAT32 uses smaller cluster sizes so there's less wasted space when saving files compared to FAT16 with larger clusters --- but I guess you already know that. With 1.5GB, the total saved space with FAT32 is hardly worth worrying about. Get a new disk that's more than a laughable 1.5GB ---you can't buy less than 20GB new anyway now. Install Windows on it and copy the old data over from the old disk before wiping it and putting it out of it's misery.

3. jglong3

jglong3 Thread Starter

Hello PIP22,

OK,,,Thanks for the quick REPLY :) :):

Yea,,,,I knew but,,,,,

Just thought I would see if there is an application that would get around the Microsoft situation with situation of "no conversion" is "BY DESIGN" when a "BAD CLUSTER MARK" is found.

The BIOS is old (never been upgraded) and I dont know if it will handle anything greater than 8G. BIOS is a Version 2.13 (1990-1996).

Any other comments appreciated.

Jerry

4. pip22

pip22

If you buy a disk bigger than 8G, a retail box comes with 'overlay' software
    which loads before the BIOS on old PCs to allow the system to 'see' the full capacity of the disk -- and if it's not in t e box you can download it. I've used it on my grandson's old PC --- think it was a WD disk and the overlay utility supplied with it was called EZ-install or something like that. But I would imagine all the big disk makers do something similar. Or, alternatively you could flash-update the BIOS to support large drives, but that's not without a fair amount of risk ---- the overlay route is safer!

Anyways, that doesn't help you with your original question --- but something to consider.

5. jglong3

jglong3 Thread Starter

Hello PIP22, :) :)

OK,,,THANKS for your reply!!!

I am in a re-learning phase about disk I/O. The last disk architecture that I worked with was a long time ago. Mostly non-standard formats in those long ago days.

All this is showing me the changes made and the formats established from an Industry wide standard point of view.

An upgrade =>8G drive will eventually happen, but this system was about to go to the junk pile and it was saved to be used as a learning tool. I am even surprised that W98SE could load and RUN with only 32MB RAM. But it works as expected.

So far, I find "Ranish Partition Manager" and "Partition Magic" (now controlled by Norton/Symantec,,,I think.)

Thanks for your time, help, and advise!!!!!

And, any further comments from this forum are appreciated.

Jerry :) :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328194

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice