1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Convert info-sheet data to row-records for DB import (like CSV)

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jmosmith, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmosmith

jmosmith Thread Starter

Hello,

Thanks for the help.

I have several worksheets, in separate workbooks, with text in the layout of a form with data-labels and blanks; all blanks are labeled, all blanks are not necessarily filled.

I need to import this data into a database, so I need it to be converted into a form of row records, with one record per row, and one field (labels on the blanks) per column.

I have a couple hundred or more of these and I'd like to process this in batch; not one at a time. I'm looking for a macro or code to help me do this.

Please advise.

Much thanks,
    J. :)

2. jmosmith

jmosmith Thread Starter

This question is also posted here: LINK

3. jmosmith

jmosmith Thread Starter

Still need help on this one,...

Here's an example file

Attached Files:

4. lwharrell

lwharrell

You will not be able to export from a form.... there is no "table" uniformity. Where is the table or query that was used to create the form? Larry

5. lwharrell

lwharrell

6. jmosmith

jmosmith Thread Starter

It is not a TRUE "form", it's just layed-out with text and boxes to look like one.

You are correct, there is NO uniformity.

Columns were adjusted so that text fit and it would look good, not for any data management of any kind. (I didn't do it!...)

Does that help?

7. OBP

OBP

I would suggest that you post an example of the "form(s)" so that we can look at it, as I am conversent with both Excel and Access and their VBA.

8. jmosmith

jmosmith Thread Starter

Example above in post #3

Is that not working?

Please advise.

J.

9. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

What type of database are you working with?

I'm still a bit confused by what you are wanting to do. Are you saying that the sample file you attached is kinda like a "template" that will be filled out and then saved with actual data which will ultimately end up in the DB?

Regards,
    Rollin

10. jmosmith

jmosmith Thread Starter

it's a CRM database, ORACLE Siebel CRM.

But they may as well just warehouse this in ACCESS

11. OBP

OBP

jmo, sorry I missed that example, so is this Form "Consistent". i.e. are the same cells used for the same inputs all of the time?
    Would you like to summarise them in Excel prior to Importing them in to any Database or I can create some Access VBA tot import it directly in to Access?
    Are all of the Template Workbooks in the same Folder?

12. jmosmith

jmosmith Thread Starter

I'm not sure what you're asking about the "template workbooks in the same folder"?

But if you mean are they grouped in the same file folder, they can be.

The forms are consistent enough -- one anomalie that I can fix to make all the same, and a second anomalie that I can adjust the code for easily enough.

I think either is fine, sumarizing in Excel might be better. I expect they will convert to a CSV file and import into Oracle CRM.

Thanks for the help; sorry to be afk for a few days, got burried under different priorities.

J.

13. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    Hi J.
    I looked at the sheet, I also see there is a loopup table attached wihich shows an error, no problem.
    Lets'see if I get your question right:
    You want to crate a list where the column header is the name of the text next to the gray fields, the grey fields contain the data, right?
    Are all sheets you have exactly the same?
    If so I could throw some vba code at it and have it create a list reading all the table you have, but as i say the condition MUST be that all the sheets are identical, else it's a hell of a job.
    Let me know.
    P.S. It's past 23:00 hours her in Holland, so I won't read your reply 'til tomorrow.

14. jmosmith

jmosmith Thread Starter

Yes, you have it. That's EXACTLY it.

There is an additional row in some sheets, I can manually make this consistent, for fasts solution. So I can make them consistent.

Please advise.

J.

15. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    Hi J.

Okay, I'll take a shot at it and hope to be able help you with a solution I have in mind, I think I'll have it by Sunday but please don't pin me on it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753029

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice