1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Convert Local Account to Domain??

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ThoughT, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThoughT

ThoughT Thread Starter

Hello

I recently aquired an IBM PC Server 330 (I know its, old, but it was free!) and I installed Windows NT4 Server on it and made it a Primary Domain Controller.

So far I've been testing out how my network is going to run before I deploy it, I've been testing it on a WinXP Pro machine and two Win98SE's.. I'm sure the 98SE's are having no problems.. and scripts are working fine, but the thing is that on all of the computers we have local accounts in which we have documents and settings that we would like to use while logged into the domain. But when first logging into the domain, windows makes a new user on the local machine..

I have tried on the XP machine just copying the contents of C:\Documents and Settings\ThoughT to C:\Documents and Settings\ThoughT.Domain but I know theres more to it than that, plus since ThoughT and ThoughT.Domain arn't the same users, when I do that, ThoughT.Domain doesn't have rights to those files thus messing up the account.

Is there some way to convert a Local Account to a Domain Account, or transfer files, documents, and settings to the domain account..

I would also like to share C:\Documents and Settings\ThoughT.Domain\My Documents to ThoughT.Domain when done, which I'm sure I can do but I've had some problems with losing rights to my own files which I'm the "owner" of..

any help would be appreciated very much

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325722

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice