1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Convert Q&A for DOS file (*.dtf)

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by hollingb, Oct 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hollingb

hollingb Thread Starter

I am trying to convert a *.dtf file from Q&A for DOS into ANY other format. For example a *.dbf, *.txt, *.cvs, *.xls, *.wk*, etc.

I have searched and searched on the internet and I can find companies that want to charge me to convert the file, but nothing that will simply help me convert it. I've looked for a Q&A ODBC driver so that I can connect using an SQL-type application, but no such luck. I've downloaded the latest MDAC from Microsoft and still no luck.

Can anyone help me????

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I think .dtf is document text format. This was an IBM product.

3. hollingb

hollingb Thread Starter

Thanks. Unfortunately, trying to pull the file up in strictly a text application, such as notepad (or MS Word or Wordpad), gives me lots of gobble-dee-gook (that 's a technical term :). I can see the names and address in the file also (which is what I'm trying to interpret), but there is too much extraneous encoding surrounding the data and mixed in with the data to retreive it.

Also because of all of the encoding, Excel can't import it in any kind of useful way -- it just includes all the funky characters and gobble-dee-dook in with the data.

4. DaveBurnett

Post a sample, I'll see if I can do anything with it.

5. hollingb

hollingb Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I only have the one file that contains actual names, addresses, and phone numbers, which I am not at liberty to post. I'll see if I can get a more innocuous sample. Thanks.

6. DaveBurnett

If necessary PM. All I need to see is the 'control' data

7. hollingb

hollingb Thread Starter

I don't know what "PM" means. But I am attaching a portion of the dtf file. It contains the begining of the file up to where the data became too personally identifiable. And then I deleted the personal information from the middle of the file and left in all the encoding at the end of the file. I had to change the file extension to txt so it would upload.

Thanks

Attached Files:

8. DaveBurnett

PM is Private Message.
    Yout still managed to download the wrong thing. I see your web page not the data.

9. baobabul

baobabul

Hollingb : did you find any answer so far? I am on the same boat. I just subscribe to e-mail to you but i am not allowed yet

10. DaveBurnett

That data is not what I expected to see. Are you sure that this is DOS data. It looks to me as though what you have here is data from an Apple Mac contact database (but still in the database format). I think you need to go back to the source and get the names and addresses extracted in straight 'delimited text' format.
    The delimited text format is one where a defined character(s) -usually x'0c' splits the text into lines.

11. hollingb

hollingb Thread Starter

Yes, definitely a DOS file. However, I was able to walk the person who sent me the data through examining Q and A and looking for an export function. So she was able to get what she needed anyway. (Duh!) I would still like to know how to read a Q & A file, though, without having Q&A. I keep think that there must be a way.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/175503

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice