Convert to Dynamic Disk - Does it Overwrite MBR?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ioki

Hi all, thank you for reading my question.

I recently converted a disk to dynamic type from basic type in Disk Management in Win XP Pro (I was prompted to do this when I open Disk Management and clicked Yes accident!).

Previously the whole disk was an encrypted volume using TrueCrypt 3.1, and I can no longer mount the volume since the conversion and subsequent conversion back to a basic type.

Apparently I can fix the problem by 1. Restoring the volume header from a backup, or 2. Possibly recreating the partition type and hoping the header was not damaged by the conversion process.

I never backed up the volume header deliberately, is this something Windows may have done automatically (although System Restore tells me I cannot undo changes made to the D: drive since the last Restore Point)?

The hard disk drive was never used as a regular NTFS or FAT volume, but instead made into an encrypted volume with software mentioned above as soon as it was installed pysically in my PC after it was bought new.

I need to know if converting to a dynamic disk in Win XP overwrites the header (is this the mbr?) and if so if it can be undone?

When I converted the drive it took less than a second and apart from converting back to a basic disk in Disk Management (also instant change) I have done nothing at all to the drive in question (preserving the data exactly) so I am optimistic that I can restore the header and therefore mount the volume again (the header is used to verify the passphrase by the encryption software).

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you again for reading my post.

Regards,
Nick

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online