Convert to .mpg

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

KaIIen

Is it possible to convert an animated .gif into an .mpg? I have a photo that I have done some major edits too, and I created an animated .gif that goes from the original, through several edits to the final image. I'd like to save this as an .mpg.
Thanks
K

There's a few apps that wiil do that but AFAIK mostly higher end video editors, Ulead Media Studio Pro is one. You'll get better results starting from scratch and importing each image into an editor. You can add nice transition between....If you have Microsoft Movie Maker installed you can create it in there but you won't be able to output as MPEG. Just DV-AVI or WMV.

Does it have to MPEG?

Because MPEG is a propirety format, you're gonna have to (legally) pay for encoding the video (which is why there aren't many free MPEG encoders around). Any studio level video editor will do the trick (Adobe Premiere etc). Or else, TMPEG Encoder is another program that will encode to MPEG, then you can use a free program like Windows Movie Maker to output to a AVI file.

blaqDeaph said:
Because MPEG is a propirety format, you're gonna have to (legally) pay for encoding the video (which is why there aren't many free MPEG encoders around).
Proprietary it is, I don't know the specifics but MPEG1 is for all practical purposes is open source and mpeg2 to some extent can be encoded from a variety of free products. TMPGenc for example will encode both but has a 30 day trial, it will continue to function as a MPEG1 encoder after the 30 day trial is up. As far as MPEG2 is concerned I can only assume they have relaxed the licensing because until recently commercial products didn't even have MPEG2 encoding available in the trials but most do now.

As far as converting to MPEG2 for free it's not something I have really researched because I have a very good pay for encoder included with my editing application. I know there are a lot of resources for doing it though, just as an example you could download the old free Divx to DVD (works with formats other than Divx) here: http://www.free-codecs.com/DivXToDVD_download.htm

That will convert you files to DVD compatible ones which you can then burn using Nero or whatever application you have for burning. If you wanted to take it a step further you could rip the VOB file to a MPEG2 file using Vob2MPG http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=VOB2MPG

That's probably not the best method for getting MPEG2 for free, I'm using it as an example. The only issue with some of the free solutions is quality and true compatibility.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online