converted 98 to xp

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

brenttonic2

Yesterday I upgraded my old computer to Xp, but I did so on only one partition, and I left It at FAT 32 just to see if it would work. Now Iam going to convert to NTFS because everything went fine and now I just want to free up space and reformatt the hard drive, basically getting rid of all the information on it and starting fresh. I just want to know if I can reformatt, and the steps for doing so if I can.I only have one partition on this computer that is why I am concerned about the reformatting thing. I tried to formatt when it was still FAT32 but it was saying that i needed to close all remaining things that were using this system.? I am going to convert to NTFS reguardless I just want to free up all my disk space that is being stolen from the old 98 system files. Any help I would appreciate very much thank you.
sam

I tried to formatt when it was still FAT32 but it was saying that i needed to close all remaining things that were using this system.?
If you try to format while the OS is loaded you won't be able to.

If you want no old information and a fresh OS reload then what you need to do is this.

Shut off your computer.
Boot up computer and make sure its set to boot to first CD-Second and HDD last.
Put in the Windows XP install CD into the CD rom and proceed with the install.
After the license agreement you can tell it which drive you want to install windows on it will give you options to delete partitions. Delete them all out. Once thats done and it shows RAW and your whole HDD then select the raw partition and it will give you the option to create a new partition and format it NTFS.

Remember doing this will wipe out your whole HDD and you will only have your OS installed so ensure you have your data, device drivers, and applications above and beyond the OS in hand to reinstall.

enter BIOS ( Setup ) and set the first boot device as CD/ROM. Put your XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals except the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless. Any internal USB card should also be removed.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" . . do that and you will be able to delete partitions and recreate one or more, then proceed to formating and installing XP

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up.
If you do not get that message, and you have another optical drive, try the XP CD in the other drive.

This is a site that walks you thru a simulated XP installation:
http://www.echoproject.net/en/software/catalog.html

These are good guides to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print one for reference during the install.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp
http://www.socrtwo.info/cleanxpinstall.htm
http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

You will likely have to load drivers (Chipset first) and applications, If your XP installation disc does not include SP2, after the installation, you will need to download and install SP-2, while windows is clean. Prior to connecting to the internet be sure you enable the XP firewall.

If you want to save your files and settings from your current installation, you can use the XP Files and Settings Transfer (FAST) wizard to create an image of them and save to cd or other removable media. This is a good guide to using the FAST wizard. Just be sure you have an up-to-date antivirus before you re-instate them!

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_fstw.asp

brenttonic2

So I understand that I enter Bios setup to choose first boot up device as CD/Rom so that it will run from that cd, what do i push in order to go to bios (setup). then i quickly press any button when prompted to only boot from cd correct? thank you for your help

Enterig BIOS is different on different machines . . but usually pressing Delete, F2 or F12 just after you turn int on, will do it.

Some boot screens will have a prompt to enter setup ( BIOS )

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If you have trouble getting the boot order set to where the CDROM drive is listed first, insert the XP CD, then reboot your computer and see it'll still boot from it. I had that problem with one of my computers and it still booted from it.

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" prompt appears, press a key quickly before the prompt disappears.

You'll need to delete the current C: partition, create a new C: partition, then format that partition with the NTFS file system.

Once the formatting process is over, the Windows setup process will start.

The above prompt will appear after every reboot, but DON'T press any key on subsequent reboots. The prompt will disappear in a few seconds and the setup process will continue.

Depending on the speed of your computer and the size of the hard drive, the entire process will take 90 - 120 minutes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, what is the processor type and speed, how much RAM is installed, and what is the size of the hard drive in that computer?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online