1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

converted to nfts from fat32 and...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by blb53081, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blb53081

blb53081 Thread Starter

I installed windows xp, but to do that i had to convert my partitition to a ntfs, when everything was done i restarted the computer and it will show the windows xp starting to boot up, but then it will go to a blue screen saying that the header does not match, which means that it is probably looking for something in the old partition to start the computer. So i must not have done a clean format and install. I would like to do that now but it wont even let me format from msdos with a startup disk, i have tried everything??? basically all i need to do is format my hard drive to start clean again and figure out a way to have the fat32 partition to do so. please help.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Windows XP setup would have asked you if you wanted to have NTFS or leave FAT32. You do have a choice.

The boot disk (I'm assuming that you are using your Windows 98 one) from Win 98 will not work if you have NTFS. You will need to get a boot disk for XP from www.bootdisk.com It will allow you to boot to the command prompt.

3. alphanumeric

alphanumeric

if you start the install over again from scratch you should get the option to formate the partition using NTFS. That will get you a clean install of XP.
    You can remove the NTFS partition with the 98 boot disk, use the "delete non dos partition option". If you delete the partitions and leave the disk blank XP will format it for you. It's better to format it with NTFS than to convert from fat32. If you convert from fat32 to NTFS you are stuck with the fat32 cluster size. This is very inefficient for NTFS, and you will take a performance hit.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you have data / files you need to keep, do a repair install of xp. If you do not need anything on the drive, a clean install is the better way to go. Upgrades quite often have problems. The only upgrade that I can even recommend is from win2k>XP pro. That one seems to work reasonably well.

You are given a choice when installing as to file system if your disk / partition is <32 gig. If it is more, the only option you have is ntfs or to leave the current file system intact.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Only if the ntfs partition is a primary one. Fdisk cannot remove a logical ntfs partition that resides in an extended partition. This is one of the reasons I recommend against using win9x tools for nt based os. Note you can also delete partitions from the recovery console.

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You shouldn't need a boot disk, just put the XP cd in the drive and restart and do it all over again.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222895

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice