1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Converting 3D models to 2D CAD Drawings.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by SixShooter14, May 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SixShooter14

SixShooter14 Thread Starter

First Name:
    James
    Howdy folks.

Does anyone know of a good method for this?

I work with a lot of .cgr files. (CATIA Graphic) It is my understanding that this is a triangulated surface representation of a modeled CatPart or CatProduct. I would really like to be able to export the shell into AutoCAD.

Right now, the way I go about this is exporting the cgr as a .wrl then opening that in Spacevision and converting it to a .spv file. This spv is similar to a cgr. With the spv(or wrl) open in Spacevision, we then take a screenshot of the model and import that into ACAD and manually trace the outline. This is a slow, tedious, and inaccurate process. But it's the best way we know of right now.

Another issue is that Spacevision has a limited size of wrl that it can open. When a cgr is converted to a wrl it gets much larger. A lot of the larger wrls (over 500MB) refuse to open in SV as it says it runs out of memory, even if the PC has 24 or 32 GB installed. The size issue wouldn't be that big of a deal of I could go about it another way.

We have a program that was written to convert a section cut in SV into a drawing in ACAD. It takes the hpgl file and plots it into a CAD drawing using a script. The program and script were written by my company. But I guess the programmes couldn't figure this out. Idk.

If anyone has experience with CATIA or Spacevision, or converting models from CATIA to AutoCAD. I'd love to discuss this. I can get from Solidworks to ACAD and I can get the wrl to open in Solidworks. But a wrl isn't exactly a model. Its more like a 3d picture. There's no edges or true surfaces.

Any help.would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    James (Six)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1189791

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice