Converting 98 to xp

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

brenttonic2

Yesterday I upgraded my old computer to Xp, but I did so on only one partition, and I left It at FAT 32 just to see if it would work. Now Iam going to convert to NTFS because everything went fine and now I just want to free up space and reformatt the hard drive, basically getting rid of all the information on it and starting fresh. I just want to know if I can reformatt.

If you reformat, you WILL lose all the data on the hard drive (or the partitions you format). If this doesn't worry you, then go ahead.

Assuming you bought an XP upgrade, as long as you have the original 98 install disk then you will have no problems (XP will ask you to put the disk in so it can 'verify' you own an original version of windows).
Backup anything you want to keep, and pop in the XP disk, and go from there.

Scorp.

brent: Don't lose that 98 disk. Every time you will need to reinstall XP you will need it.
That is, unless you upgraded with a stand alone XP disk.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Is your XP CD a full version or an upgrade version? If it's an upgrade version, you're going to need a 98/98SE CD or a ME CD to reinstall XP, once you've formatted the hard drive.

Make sure you have everything you need and know what you're doing before you commit yourself to doing a format.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts