1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Converting a Microsoft Works Report to Word Format

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by referee07, Dec 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

I have created a report (spreadsheet) in Microsoft Works and Emailed it to a friend but he can't open it. He suggested that I convert the report/spreadsheet into Microsoft Word "format." Is this possible? Thanks for the help.

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Try File-->Save as. What are the options there? A spreadsheet would be Excel, not Word. You could try saving as CSV.

3. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Anne Troy, thanks for the reply. It looks like a spreadsheet but Works calls it a Report. I tried converting it to Word using Control Panel>Word>Change etc. but came out with a lot of symbols. I really don't want to mess around and lose this data; it took me a considerable amount of time to compile it. What is "CSV?"

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Copy the file before you work on it. Why are you going into the Control Panel? Simply open the file in Works. Hit File-->Save as and see what the options are. CSV is comma-separated values (plain text).

5. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

I went to Control Panel after reading a Microsoft Help page on how to convert Works files to Word files. I was able to create a CSV file from Works but all of the columns are gone and it is nearly impossible to read the report. Is there a way to convert what I have in this report to one with columns?

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Did you try File-->Save as??? What other options do you have?

:)

7. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Not certain, but can "openoffice" access Works documents? Could the recipient use openoffice to retrieve and save the info? I found openoffice - which is free as you know - very easy to use.
    hope this helps?

Richard

8. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

1002richards, he doesn't have Openoffice (although I do) and I'm not sure what other options that I have. I download Microsoft's Works to Word Converter with no success in converting the file. Does anyone else have any other ideas?

9. iltos

iltos

i had this problem with works when i first bought my computer....it's the cheapo version that is not compatiable with either word or excel....i googled "works to word"....MS (at the time) had a conversion program that would allow a works word processing progam to open in word, and its spread sheet to open in excel......but you weren't able to edit either....viewing function only.

10. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

iltos, I tried downloading this program but still couldn't open the report in Word.

11. iltos

iltos

12. letchworth

letchworth

If you are sending information that you want him to be able to read (but he doesn't have to edit/change anything) you could use a program like "pdfCreator".

"pdfCreator" (or other program/routines like them) install on your computer and become available as an alternative "PRINTER". What I mean is, that if you now tell M$Works to print your document; and when the print dialogue pops up, choose pdfCreator as your printer-- you will actually be given an opportunity to save it as a pdf of your original file. It can then be emailed and viewed (but not handily edited/changed) by your friend.

The program can be downloaded here:
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=57796

This does not solve your problem of converting it to M$Word-- but does make your file readable in Adobe Reader or Foxit Reader. I use this all the time to send information which I don't want edited/changed. (And it is extremely easy to use-- play with it a couple times and you will be a pro).

letchworth

13. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

referee07,
    Would your friend be OK with downloading & installing 'openoffice'? This would complement letchworth's suggestion in that in the future you & your friend could collaborate on documents of any type?
    Just a thought
    Richard

14. iltos

iltos

thanks for posting this (y)
    been wondering if there was an easy way to create pdf docs....will give it a try :)

15. slurpee55

slurpee55

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/527938

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice