1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

converting a pdf to a doc

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ckaas, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ckaas

ckaas Thread Starter

hey guys, i'm having real trouble with this. i have been trying to convert a pdf into a doc format. the pdf is here:
    http://www.edron.edu.mx/images/PDFs/Maths%20No%20Coursework%202005.pdf
    All i need is pages 5 to 9 (CURRICULUM CONTENT), but when i convert to doc, the text goes up along the sides of the page, and does other really crazy things. Can anybody help me? Thanks,

Christian K.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

PDF's are not always designed to be converted to .DOC format, particularly this one.

Its in 3 column format in the original, but you cannot copy the text column at a time from the PDF. Any copy in text copy mode ignores the original format. This is normal behaviour.

You can copy column by column in graphics mode, but its not editable text then.

If you explain why you need to have it as a .doc perhaps a solution will evolve?

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

You could try copying each column and running an OCR against it.

4. ckaas

ckaas Thread Starter

well, the syllabus itself needs to be edited in order to reflect the changes it has underone these past years.

5. ckaas

ckaas Thread Starter

OCR?

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Optical Character Recognition
    Software that scans printed material into the likes of Word

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

OCR works OK for nice clean fonts, but I think it would spit the dummy on the complex maths characters, big time. Often the time spent in correcting all the errors is longer than it would take to re-compose it in Word.

You need to get hold of the original document that was used to create the pdf.
    It will have been created in a mainstream word processor package (probably Word) before it was run through the pdf compiler.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169930

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice