converting a vhs to digital footage on comp

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

techguy41

i want to turn some vhs tapes i have into digital footage. is there a way to hook a vhs tape up to the computer and make it digital. what do i need to transfera vhs to the computer (make it digital)???

let me know

Thanks

There's a couple of ways that I know of to do this..
1. Requires a camcorder with firewire hookup. You can set it up where you connect the VCR to your camcorder via RGB cable. And your camcorder hooks up to your PC via firewire cable. I've done this once so I don't remember the exact settings you need on the camcorder, but I was able to play the VCR and have it viewing on the camcorder as if it was on playback of it's own tape, and have the video software on the PC (Pinnacle Studio) recording the output.
2. Requires a video capture card with either Svideo (assuming you have Svideo on the VCR) or RBG inputs. You hook up the VCR directly and use the software (like Pinnacle Studio) to record.

After the recording is done, you can then use the resulting file (usually mpeg or avi) and convert it to any format you want (DVD, avi, mpeg, divx, etc..)

OR.. if it's a one time deal, you could forget all I said and take it to a shop that does that sort of thing.

techguy41

i have my vcr hooked up to my comp and it works, what program should i use to capture?

I use Pinnacle Studio (you may have guessed), but I don't know if it will work with RGB inputs if that's what you're using. What is the make/model of the card you're using to connect the VCR to? Are you using RGB inputs? The card didn't come with software?

Obviously your video card supports analog to digital conversion. I would use Scenalyzer--great little program that is geared towards capturing. If you want to do more then capture, then you can use Windows Moviemaker (free) or step up to the aforementioned Pinnacle Studio (sorry Zero, I hate that program) or Sony's entry level NLE and DVD burner.

np.. I only use it cuz it came as a package and it does what I need (which isn't much). For the benefit of myself and techguy41... what other programs do you like/recommend and why?

Zero, much depends on what you want to do with your footage once you have captured it----At an elementary level you have Windowsmoviemaker---pretty basic editor that allows you to do cuts, some transitions, and a limited amount of fx---It doesn't give you much to work with if you want to have several sound tracks (ie. like one for narration, one for music, and one for ambient sound). HOwever it works fine and is absolutely free. Stepping up, I would recommend Adobe Premiere Elements or the basic Sony package---Vegas Movie Studio -DVD6. It allows you more flexibility, and allows you to convert and create your own DVD's with chapter points etc. Its very stable and lists for 89.95. If you want to go up from there---you can try Adobe Premiere Pro, Sony Vegas, Avid Express etc. These are full fledged editors with hundreds of options from color correcting to fairly complex sound work. Again, they might be over kill.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online