Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Converting a Wireless network into a Wired network

Solved 
1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  etaf 
#1 ·
Hey,

I require help converting a wireless signal into a wired network, for internet use.

I just moved into a house share, and to my surprise there is no ethernet port in my room or anywhere nearby.

The router itself is located on the top floor and although I do have a 20m ethernet cable handy, I don't think my new house mates would enjoy a long cable placed throughout the house, also my room door seems to seal itself shut, I doubt I could feed a cable through anyway.

With this in mind, I can no longer use my PC online, as it has no wireless card (I much prefer a secure, reliable wired connection, I always see wireless as a gimmick for phones). So I am stuck using my laptop, which has wireless enabled.

So I was just wondering if anyone knows of a way to convert wireless signals from a wireless router, to a wired connection. I have a switch on hand, with 8 ethernet ports, and I have several ethernet cables.

I have found a phone line, but I have no idea if it works. I found a filter, allowing an ADSL cable or a phone cable to connect. I may try getting hold of an RJ11 to RJ45 cable and hope the phone line socket is working fine.

Thanks for reading! :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Phone line will probably not work , if its just an old extension lead

have you thought about using powerline adapters
these use the home electrical wiring to transfer the signal
so you plug one of the powerline adapters into a mains plug (some units have pass through) so you can plug the router into the power on the powerline adapters
then from the powerline adapter to the router has an ethernet cable

now in your room
you plug the other powerline adapter into a mains plug and then the ethernet into the PC

so if the quality of the electrical wiring is OK - you would get a cabled connection

#6 ·
I'm UK
you have loads of choice
Maplins etc
I use richardsounds occasionally or i get clients to purchase from them, as the clients often have Sky and need catchup , and they have a router in a different room
They mostly sale netgear

look for Passthrough versions - has a 13A socket in the front
also look at the specs for speed

this type of thing
http://www.devolo.co.uk/article/dlan-500-av-wireless-starter-kit-powerline-devolo/
this one has wireless and usually a special deal a lot cheaper

quite old article now
http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/powerline.html

#7 ·
Brilliant, thank you very much for this.

The article explained the set-up very well.

Thanks for being so helpful, I will be unable to purchase the device until tomorrow now, but I will mark this topic as solved, as the device will offer exactly what I require.

Thanks again! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.