1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Converting Access info to text

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by prpliris, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. prpliris

prpliris Thread Starter

I am transcribing a cemetery to put the info on the web and it has to be in text format.
    I have the database while I am working on gathering data, taking photos, etc in Access. Is there any way to take the info I have in Access in output into plain text format.
    Its okay if I lose the formatting - just having the data will help.
    The output format is required to be in columns, i.e., name, birthdate, death date, epitaph.
    I sure hope someone can help with this. I have tried taking it to Excel and then outputting and nothing gives me a plain text format.
    Thanx :) G

2. OBP

OBP

You can use the Main menu option File>Export to export your Table of data.
    You can choose either .RTF (Rich Text Format) or .txt (Text Format)
    the text format option outputs in columns but encloses the data in quotes when viewed with wordpad.

3. prpliris

prpliris Thread Starter

Hi
    I did this and there was no choice for .rtf and plain text. The output is in an Excel looking format with bars or dashes. Anyway to get rid of that??

4. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    You outputted as a CSV or comma separated values file which will automatically open up in Excel. Are you exporting a table or report?

5. lika2know

lika2know

BTW, the option to choose the file type doesn't appear until you see the window "file save" box -- then you can select from a bunch of different formats including excel and html as well as RTF and text. You will need to think about where you want the data -- in tabs, with a space in between, with a semi-colon... If you put it into excel, you can use =concatenate function to put the fields together how you like and then copy and paste the resulting cells into a document application like notepad, wordpad or word.
    lika2know

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646226

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice