1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Converting avi and burning to disc... confused!

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Robbieboy, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Robbieboy

Robbieboy Thread Starter

Hi folks,

I hope someone here will help, I have some avi files which I want to burn to disc and watch on my DVD player. I am having a lot of accomplishing doing what intially seemed to be a fairly straightforward task. I would be most grateful if anyone could help me through this in 'baby steps'.

The first thing I tried was some freeware called VideoDVDMaker. After a painful process of 'transcoding' (conversion?) of about 16 hours, I then tried to burn to disc but when the DVD-R was placed in my DVD player I got nothing but some whirring noises and the message 'disc error'.

I then did some further research, and read that these avi files need to be converted to MPEG-2 before I can burn them to disc. The website I was reading recommended ConvertXtoDVD, so I downloaded the trial version. The software certainly seemed very easy to use, and the conversion took about two hours. However when conversion was finished, I saw that the 'burn' button was greyed out. I looked at their website to try to discover why, and it said it was because my burner software did not recognise the media I inserted i.e my blank DVD-R (I have Nero 6).

So then I tried to burn with the 'burn' section of the VideoDVDMaker. This was also confusing, because the 'timer clock' (i.e the thing that tells you how long each task is thus far taking) continued to tick even after the word 'done' appeared. So then I took the DVD-R out, put it into my DVD player, and to my great surprise (not) I had some more whirring noises and no show.

So now I am quite confused and a tad frustrated... if anyone can help me through this, and has the patience to guide me through it in the tiniest of baby steps, I would be eternally grateful. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

2. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

You should always list your specs in your profile. Do you in fact have a DVD burner? What's the model? Have you ever burned anything to DVD.

3. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

I would like to point out that after the tracks are burned to disk the lead in and lead out have to be written and then the disk has to be finalized. That's probably why the timer was still ticking after it said done.

I would also suggest you read up on dvd authoring and burn a few to dvdrw's until you have success.

4. Robbieboy

Robbieboy Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies, Mystic Eyes and Rick_ in_Fla. I am using Windows XP home, and to this point I have only had Nero 6, which as I now gather does not include a DVD burner (told you I didn't know much about this!!). What I tried to do yesterday was to download the 'trial' version of Nero 8 which I believe has a DVD burner. Anyway, when I went to download the trial version (which I have not yet tried), I got a message that in order to install Nero 8 trial version, I would need to uninstall Nero 6. The message asked do I still want to install Nero 8 trial version or 'cancel'- I clicked 'cancel' and it still went and uninstalled Nero 6, which I do not know how to re-install.

5. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

i use nero 6 2 burn dvd's all the time... not sure where u missed that. if u click on start>all programs>nero & then oem u should see nero express. if u have a dvd burner installed, it will auto detect it & on the splash screen u'll see dvd video-file. here's a screenshot :) did ur burner come with a disc with nero on it? if not, try filehippo.com or maybe google 4 that version since it's out of production.

Attached Files:

6. Robbieboy

Robbieboy Thread Starter

Thanks for your help, wtxcowboy. May I ask (and in so doing make my lack of knowledge even more embarrassingly obvious), when you ask if I have a DVD burner installed, are you referring to software or hardware? I have CD burner hardware, but not DVD burner hardware. Do I need DVD burner hardware to burn these files to a DVD-R? Thanks again.

7. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

by burner, i meant the dvd drive itself. some play dvds & don't burn, do u have a dvd burner? & yes, u'll need software 2 burn ur files 2 a dvd also :) that's what ur nero was 4 :D

8. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

Robbieboy, Yes you need a dvd burner (hardware) to burn to dvd-r's. You can pick one up for around $40.00.

9. Robbieboy

Robbieboy Thread Starter

Thanks, Rick_In_Fla and wtxcowboy. In relation to the DVD burner, I shall make it my mission to acquire one ASAP. In relation to software, I have used the trial version of ConvertXtoDVD, (which is supposed to be some kind of super-duper software to convert the files into suitable format then burn to DVD) and the files are now in a 'ConverXtoDVD' folder and have been converted to VIDEO-TS. Would this mean they are now ready to burn onto my DVD-R? (when I get DVD burner). Thanks a lot for your help.

10. Robbieboy

Robbieboy Thread Starter

Thanks to all who offered help- got myself a DVD burner, used ConvertXtoDVD software to encode files, and burned using Nero 6. Hey Presto! Burned successfully to disc! Thanks everyone and thanks for the tip on Nero 6, wtxcowboy!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/642482

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice