Converting Laptop from FAT32 to NTFS problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sy12uP

wasup all, I just bought an Acer Aspire 3000 Series notebook computer. I have a Windows XP Professional disc that I want to to install but I want to convert the FIles system from FAT32 to NTFS. However, It will not do it. I tried the Run command Convert "C: /fs:NTFS" but that does not work. When I try to format the drive and change it to the NTFS file format in the Windows XP setup, using the Windows XP Pro disc it says to check the disc for errors. The disc works fine I used it on another computer. Can anyone help me on this please. Thanks

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Delete the existing partition during setup. Then recreate the partition and do a full NTFS format.

Sy12uP

It wont let me delete it because it says it has system files being used.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Are you doing this from the Install disc or from within windows? Make a bootable floppy disk and download DelPart onto the disk. Boot with the flopy and use Delpart to Remove the partition.

Sy12uP

I'am doing this from the install disc. Let me try the delpart thing.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts