1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Converting my external hardrive to fat32

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by elim, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elim

elim Thread Starter

ok i have a 500gb external hdd which is on ntsc file format, i want to change it to fat32 becuase my ps3 doesnt recognize ntsc, so im wondering whats the best way to do it

shall i put all the stuff on the hdd onto my comp, then convert it to fat32, then copy all the stuff back on it?

also will fat32 work exactly the same on the my vista computer as with ntsc?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

With a drive that large, you may want to consider making 2 or more separate partitions on it. NTFS is a far superior faile system and is always to be preferred. But you can remove and create partitions on the drive in Disk Management. FAT32 will be considerably slower to access for large partitions, and none of the Vista security information can be maintained in a FAT32 file system.

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

You will need a third-party partitioner/formatter to create a FAT32 file system in a partition that large.

Partitioning Tools-->

Free:

Paragon Partition Manager 8.5-- PPM Special Edition serial and free registration
    CloneZilla GParted LiveCD (Complete partitioning and drive imaging/restoration tools)

3. elim

elim Thread Starter

will it mess anything up???

also does anything get damaged if i get reformatting it each time? or space lost

4. elim

elim Thread Starter

what would a new partion do???

cant you like have half ntfs and half fat 32 on the 500gb hdd??

or like wen i go into my computer can i have 2 removable drives both are the same hdd??

eg one part is for my stuff another one is for my dads

5. crazlunatic

crazlunatic

i believe fat32 cannot handle any files bigger than 2GB in size. You're telling me your modern-day PS3 cannot read an ntfs drive?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sure, you can split it and have one 250 GB FAT32 drive and the rest an NTFS drive if you want to. It won't cause any problems.

7. Antiapplekid

Antiapplekid

I googled it and before the 1.6 Update on the PS3 NTFS worked but I would recommend just using Norton Ghost backing up everthing and formating the drive

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice