1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

converting numbers to text in Excel

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Fatmah, Feb 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fatmah

Fatmah Thread Starter

I'm trying to convert numbers to text in Excel for e.g. convert "1" to "one", "2" to "two" etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

2. Franke2

Franke2

Fatmah,
    I could not find a Worksheet function to do this, but depending how many changes there are and how many different numbers need to be changed, you may be able to do this with a VLOOKUP.

In a test I ran I had numbers with values from 1-12. I created a 2 column range elsewhere on the spreadsheet. The 1st column had the 1.2.3 numbers and the 2nd column had their text equivelent. I inserted a new column to the right of where the original numbers were and entered the following to the right of the first value I wanted to change. The vlookup looked like this =VLOOKUP(A4,$F$4:$G$15,2,FALSE) Note: A4 was the cell that had the value I wanted changed. $F$4:$G$15 is the range of the lookup array. 2 is the column with the text value.

Needless to say, this would not be a good idea if every cell had a different number or there were thousands of possible numbers to be converted, but if you had thousands ofmnumbers in a limited range, this might be helpful.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fatmah:
    I'm trying to convert numbers to text in Excel for e.g. convert "1" to "one", "2" to "two" etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!