1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

converting openoffice .sxw files to word 2002

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by HeronGlass, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HeronGlass

HeronGlass Thread Starter

How can I open files that I created with Open Office (.sxw) with MSWord 2002? These are all letters and notes from school classes, all in the default font and style of Open Office, nothing fancy. They come up as lots of little boxes and strange symbols when I try to open them. :confused:

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Save them from Open Office as RTF documents.
    RTF is the 'universal' language of word processors.

3. letchworth

letchworth

You have a two-part problem:

Part one: the saved format: .sxw is a great way to save from OOo- however MSWord refuses (so far) to acknowledge it. OOo includes a way around this limitation in MSWord--- re-save in either MSWord's default format .doc or (as HeronGlas says) an even more universal .rtf (However, I am not sure if .rtf will carry every single feature). NOTE: don't be surprised to find your files have all "bloated" to a less compacted size.

Part two: the default font: Nothing wrong with the OOo default font--- as long as the person receiving the file has that same font (off the top of my head I don't remember which it is because I switched to Times New Roman for this similar problem). Every Windows OS machine has Times New Roman.

If it was me: I'd read the files back in & change fonts (since that didn't seem to matter to you), then "save as" "filename.doc"
    (.rtf is more universal-- but if these are files to be "turned in"-- some teachers don't know .rtf and might not be willing to find out.)

Good luck

4. HeronGlass

Thank you both sooooooo much! changing to .rtf is working on almost all my files, changing the font on the few in which I "designed" pages works for them. You saved me! I want to add that it's answers like yours that make techguy forums the first place I come to for help. Most of the time I can find my answers by searching the forums but when I do ask a question you guys always explain what to do, how to do it and give just enough background on the reasons why - other help forums often get too technical and make me feel stupid for asking, but not here! I have learned so much from techguy forums, more than computer classes ever taught me, and I recommend you often.
    Speaking of stupid - "If I don't know, I can RTFM" means . . .?

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

6. HeronGlass

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!