1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Converting Outlook Express emails to transfer to Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by clarence23, Nov 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. clarence23

clarence23 Thread Starter

Have just bought new PC with Windows 8 and hence, no Outlook Express.

Can anyone suggest a way of converting OE's .dbx files to a format acceptable to Thunderbird?

I have literally 100s of family history research emails and photos that I don't want to lose although still on my old XP machine.

Many thanks.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i would install thunderbird onto the XP PC and then you can export all the emails from outlook express into thunderbird

now use thunderbird backup mozbackup to create a file to transfer to the windows 8 machine and use the same backup program on windows 8 - i have done this a few times from XP to windows 7 and also to windows 8.1 and it works

with contacts , I also saved as a CSV file and imported

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_from_Outlook_Express

backup tool
    http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

3. Koot

Koot

Information in this link will help you to transfer all your Outlook Express stuff to Thunderbird.

4. Koot

Koot

Clarence - did the information in the link I provided work for you? Let us know.

If your problem has been resolved please mark your thread as 'Solved'.

5. clarence23

Not had time to anything as yet about my emails, but will get back to you. But I have them all backed up on external hard drive - just in case :)

6. Koot

Koot

Okay Clarence. Hopefully you followed the instructions to get to where you are with things. There is a 'process' to the transfer, which is usually more than just saved emails but also address books, settings, etc. and I've always done the transfer at the time Thunderbird is originally setup instead of much later. Hopefully everything should transfer over and there won't be a problem, especially if you are just transferring saved emails and maybe an address book.

Please let us know when you complete the transfer. Thanks!

7. clarence23

Didn't quite go as expected as the backup from XP on old PC wiped out all the emails I already had in Thunderbird on new PC.

So gone back to original plan of using 'save as' onto USB stick to transfer to new PC. Means I can get rid of stuff I no longer need but keep the family history emails that I do need to keep.

Thanks for all advice and help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1113765

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice