1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

converting pdf files to Word

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by brooke, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brooke

brooke Thread Starter

There is a Acrobat pdf file that I need to convert to Word97 for editing purposes. I can't seem to figure it out. I have tried saving it in rich-text format, but it still loses all the formating. I have the full version of Acrobat 5.0.

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

i don't think you're doing anything wrong

just tried a few test saves (save as rtf, and text copy, paste and also text copy, paste special) and they all lost the document format (simple columns etc)

think adobe just grabs the text and copies it unlike other software (especially MS stuff) which will retain most formatting with the .rtf file type

bummer, looks like reformatting once the text is saved in whatever format :(

3. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Acrobat Reader has a Text toolbar button with a T (new versions) or an A (older versions). Click on that, select what you want, copy and paste into Word. It will likely come in very badly formatted.

PDF = Portable Document Format

Often used because they don't want people to have the ability to take their stuff. If this file was created within your own company, find out where the *source* document is and see if you can't get the original file, which is likely an editable Word document.

4. TechChick

TechChick

Did you try using the Adobe Acrobat Help feature? Not many people here use the full version of Adobe Acrobat. I don't have much experience with it either, but when I'm trying to perform a function with a piece of software, I always give the program's Help a try.

5. Whinyguy

Whinyguy

To add to Dreamboat's comment, the full versions of Adobe Acrobat have the Text Select Tool (V) which shows as a T with a dotted square on the toolbar. Select the Text Select Tool button, then click and drag over the text in the pdf file - it will be highlighted. Go to Edit, Copy and then Paste it into your Word 97 document.

6. brooke

brooke Thread Starter

I have tried the HELP option. It has plenty of help on how to convert FROM Word. I will give the text tool a try, but I know it won't paste the table and graphics at the top of the form. Consider this thread closed and thanks for all of your help.

7. jbcalg

jbcalg

brooke
    already tried the text tool for ya - per above post - no go
    there's a graphic grabber too, which may grab the table or not depending on how it converted and from which program

adobe is primarily an end use or passive type of software ie
    convert to pdf as final product,
    not from pdf to use elsewhere

so the text and graphic tools can help grab the different portions of the pdf, but you still need to do some editing and formatting if you want to use the data in an active app like word procesing

as DB posted - see if you can find the source file

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66347

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice