1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Converting scanned document from jpeg back to text ?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Krissa88b, Jul 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Krissa88b

Krissa88b Thread Starter

Can someone tell me how to convert a jpeg back to text ? I scanned a text ducument (which then becomes a jpeg) that I want to fax via computer but I need to convert it back to text so I can copy and paste it into the fax program. I remember going through this some time ago and think I found the answer here, but can't seem to locate it now. Thanks!

2. Moby

Moby

I'm not sure if you can convert an already scanned document back to text. Someone will chip in if there's a way. If you still have the document though then you can scan it in as a text document, or scan it into word for example using the OCR (optical character recognition) programme that comes with most scanners. You can either select to scan it as such from the scanner settings or open the ocr programme and import it direct from the scanner that way. It is then an editable text document.

3. Lightning

Lightning Guest

4. Krissa88b

Krissa88b Thread Starter

This is something I'm hoping to do today and might not have need to do again for a long time. I don't really have use for that program, unless they have a trial version. I didn't see one on the site.
    I used the ORC program as suggested by Moby and have a Wordpad document, which is great, but here's the new problem. I have my scanner hooked into a Windows "98 computer (older scanner) and now I need to transfer it to my XP (this one) but apparently the file is too large to fit on a floppy disk. It's only one page.... not even a full page, plus my signature. So I don't know why it would be so large. Any way to reduce it ?

5. Lightning

Lightning Guest

Save it as a plain text file. Or use something other than a floppy to transfer the file. CDR, USB key, flash card, external hard drive, etc.

6. Krissa88b

Krissa88b Thread Starter

I can't save it as a plain text. I think I'll lose my signature that way, won't I ? I have a CDR on here but not on the '98. The diskette is pretty much it. I'm thinking I could split the file to transfer it, but it just shouldn't be that big. It might not even be a total of 100 words.

7. Wendy!

Wendy!

100 words?
    Type it again!
    Crop your signature down to a small picture and insert it at the proper place.

8. Lightning

Lightning Guest

How big is it?

9. Krissa88b

Krissa88b Thread Starter

I did that originally, Wendy. It's actually a short form which I typed in my name, address etc, then I cropped my sig from another letter and pasted it in. Well since it obviously wasn't original to the document, I was asked to resend it. So I printed the form out, signed it and scanned it back in. The size is now 5.54 MB.

10. Wendy!

Wendy!

Do you have a any kind of photo editor? Reduce the image size, and the resolution.... Microsoft Photo Editor comes with the office package and that will do it.
    If you dont have any kind of photo editing program, try pasting the whole thing into a Word Document and probably resizing it cause it's probably huge. Then use the Word feature to compress the picture and lower the resolution...

11. Krissa88b

Krissa88b Thread Starter

Well now that I have scanned it in and saved as a document and not a jpeg, I get the "unsupported file type" message. It opens with Wordpad, but I don't think I can reduce it. It says the font is only a size 10. I also split the file, finally got it on here and joined again but everytime I try to open it with either Wordpad or Works Word Processor, I get the error message that they have encountered a problem and must shut down. At least I'm getting closer !

12. Wendy!

Wendy!

Use your jpg.
    Open Word and choose insert picture and choose from file. Navigate to the place where you saved your jpg and insert it. Click on the picture and Use the handles to shrink it to page size, and/or use the crop tool on the photo toolbar to crop un-needed white space. Right click on the picture, Choose format picture and compress the picture.
    If you need more detailed instructions, let me know.

13. Krissa88b

Krissa88b Thread Starter

But in the end, I still can't use the jpeg file. That's why I had to rescan the document to get a text file. I have to copy and paste that into my fax program, which I can't do with a jpeg. That would bring me back to my original question of how to convert a jpeg back to text. I think we've come full circle. LOL!

14. Wendy!

Wendy!

Dumb question maybe, but have you tried using a regular fax machine to fax the original document? - if it's important, where I live they have 24 hour shops like Kinkos and you can send a fax for pretty cheap...?

15. Wendy!

Wendy!

My computer fax program will send Word files...?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/254306

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice