1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Converting SCSI or SATA CD ROM to IDE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by techworx, Jul 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. techworx

techworx Thread Starter

Hello all,

My 1st post. I built my own PC about 10 years ago and have a hit a couple of problems as I've come to replace a couple of things as the tech has obviously moved on.

My PC Mobo is one that has an onboard SCSI controller and when my SCSI system drive started to play up I realised that hard drives had now largely become SATA type. Anyway, I found a SATA RAID controller card which fitted to a standard PCI slot. This is fine and the SATA drive is now my system drive but adding the SATA controller caused a clash with the onboard SCSI controller in that the boot process can't accomodate both controllers as I think the BIOS runs out of ROM. Anyway, instead of the SCSI BIOS showing up at Bootup it now shows the SATA Bios and boots into the OS. Therefore I can't now use the SCSI DVD/CD Rom to boot from, still usuable in Windows but I now want to reinstall my OS.
    I have also recently bought a Blue Ray combo drive which is SATA, thinking I could connect it to my SATA RAID controller not realising that this was only for SATA hard drives :(. I bought the Blue Ray drive for a future HTPC build but thought I could use it in my old system temporarily to do the OS reinstall.

I have seen whilst searching the internet some converters to enable people to use an IDE drive on a SCSI controller but not the other way around and wondered which of a couple of options would be best / possible?

option 1. Can the SCSI DVD/CD Rom be attached to a converter to connect this to an IDE connector on the mobo? The mobo BIOS has an option to boot from an ATAPI CD ROM, would this work with the SCSI DVD/CD Rom drive if it were fitted with the converter?

option 2. As per option 1 but using the BD ROM Combo with a SATA to IDE converter?

Short term option 2 would be preferable if I could use it to burn the odd DVD/CD but longer term option 1 would be good as the SCSI DVD/CD Rom doesn't really have a life beyond the old PC.

Any clever techies familiar with this type of issue able to help please?

2. TekTime

TekTime

Hello and welcome to the forums!

I would recommend disabling the onboard SCSI, and purchasing a SATA controller card if you have another slot available. That way, you can connect the Blu-Ray drive to it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!