Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Converting to a JPEG file.

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  lister 
#1 ·
I rec a lot of excel files via email with a jpeg in the document.
Is there any way of just popping the picture out and converting
it to a JPEG and storing it in my pic folder ?

Thanks for your help

#2 ·
SPINMASTER said:
I rec a lot of excel files via email with a jpeg in the document.
Is there any way of just popping the picture out and converting
it to a JPEG and storing it in my pic folder ?

Thanks for your help
Open the file, then save the excel file as HTML file (not MHT). The corresponding folder created along with the HTML should contain the original images.

Tell whoever is ending images in excel/word files to stop it. Zip them up or something if they have to.

#4 ·
If the picture is already a JPG in the Excel doc, then why not just select the picture, Copy it (^C), then open some graphic tool (like MS Paint or IrfanView) do a Paste (^V), and then save it.

Works for me.

#5 ·
SPINMASTER said:
I opened the file and clicked save as - but there is no option in excel to save a HTML file - I am using Excel 2003
It's under Web Page in the 'save as type' list.

Chucke, I find that often (though strangely, not always) images copied and pasted from Word/Excel lose definition (almost look like colour indexed images) when pasted into other progs.
Plus there is the fact that this means resaving the Jpeg again, losing more image data.

Does Paint allow one to specify a compression rate for jpegs in XP? It's been so long since I've used it - way back in W98 days!

#6 ·
If the file is a JPG, already selecting it and copying it elsewhere will not make it lose definition. The file remains the same (i.e. Copy "this whole thing" (the file, the image, not a screen capture of it) then Paste "this whole thing").
Where you might be losing definition is if you are copying the screen image (such as via some screen capturing software). What you see on the screen may not be all the data, in all of its glory.

(By the way, MSDN says that without altering a JPG file, then multiple saves will not make you lose detail. They also say that simple image manipulation, such as whole 90 degree rotations, or image flipping, and you will also not lose detail. It is other alterations that will probably cause loss of detail. Oh, also they stress that the image must have height and width pixel dimensions exactly at multiples of 16. But that is getting too nerdy, sorry.)

Paint does not have provision for adjusting how much compression (more compression = smaller file size = more loss of detail), but IrfanView does.
From what I can tell, from some quick tests in comparing resulting JPG file saves, it looks like Paint's compression is set at approximately 75 (1 - 100, where the lower the number results in more compression, and more loss of detail) when comparing Paints JPG file save, to IrfanView's 1-100 values.
--------------------
By the way, the value of 100 is NOT 100%, or "lossless"
All JPG format images have some loss to help in the file compression.

There is a new JPEG2000 format, that saves files with the extension JP2, that has the ability to be "lossless." IrfanView can read and write JPEG2000 (JP2) images.

#7 ·
If you can get the JPG with in the document on the screen as a photo, Right click on it, try to "Save Picture As", should be able to save it out directly as a JPG. Can even try the "Save Target As" feature from that menu and see what that gives.

If not can try saving the email out and try to read it with Irfanview. Sometimes it will read a lot of formats and allow you to save it back out as a JPG. Or you can sometimes do a clipboard copy and paste to a viewer like Paint or Irfanview. Not sure exactly how that document is showing you the photo but one of those methods should snag it in some form.

As mentioned if you can save the entire email itself out as a HTML; don't try to open it, all the parts will be included in the associated folders. If there is a true JPG there it will be in the folder. My nephew sends me photos in emails and that is normally how I extract the JPG photos attached. One of those methods gives it in the native form.

http://www.irfanview.com/

#8 ·
ChuckE said:
If the file is a JPG, already selecting it and copying it elsewhere will not make it lose definition
Yes, but once you've copied the jpeg to the clipboard, and pasted it into Paint or Irfanview presumably you need to save it, which would be another save! Of course you could always save in a lossless format, if you have plenty of HDD space.

This depends really on how Word/excel actually 'save' the images from the file.

I tested this; I inserted 3 dif format images (PNG, JPG & TIF) into a word doc, saved, closed, then reopened and saved as an HTML - the files in the resulting folder where exact (binary, you could check with a hex editor i suppose) duplicates of the originals.

So i presume its really more like an extraction of the orginal files rather than saving them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.