1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Converting windows 98 to a virtual machine in 2019

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by PK-her0, Feb 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

hi guys

wasnt really sure where this should go...but since im trying it on a windows 7 machine i thought i would post it here.

i need to convert a windows 98 installation into a vm...the hardware on the 98 is failing and i dont want to lose an application that will cost thousands to replace.

I just wondered what the chances are of converting the 98 to a vm so i can run it on a newer pc
    i googled but information looked old and wondered what the chances are of getting something installed on the 98 to to the conversion.

can you convert a hard drive to a vm? as in the system doesnt need to be running? or is there a soft i can use?
    any help greatly appreciated

pk

2. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
  3. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
  4. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

hey guys remember this is windows 98

i wouldnt expect much of anything to install and run on it...

5. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Are you wanting to run your Win98 in a virtual machine on a newer computer running something like Win 7,8 or 10?

Or just transfer your existing Win98 to a similar computer in good condition?

Last I remember, virtual os apps like VirtualBox do not run on a Win 9X platform.

6. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

definitely the first
    "Are you wanting to run your Win98 in a virtual machine on a newer computer running something like Win 7,8 or 10?"

7. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    texasbullet's link or mine ought to do what you want.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222687

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice