1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cookie? Help please...anyone?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by remember, Jul 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. remember

remember Thread Starter

I know nothing about computers...except that mine had the desktophijack virus. I was told to check out this site...and read the instructionsw you had posted to remove it. I did everything...but when I got out of safe mode and tried to reboot, my screensaver came up...but no icons...instead this message:
    Windows cannot find c:\windows\system32\atlch32.exe make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again. To sear5ch for a file click the start button, and then click search.

then there is a OK button.
    I cannot click on the OK...or get this message off the screen. There is no start button showing or icons.
    I am guessing I deleted something I shouldn't have?
    I don't know what to do, and have already spent hours dealing with this. However before I got out of safe mode it had said that it had found and removed 1363 infected objects. I would appreciate any help. :confused: thank you

2. wdm2291

wdm2291

Hi remember,

The file that it says it can't find is a bad file anyway, virus or spyware, from what I can tell with a quick google of it. That isn't really your problem, but some of the startup apparatus is expecting to find it. That IS a bit of a problem.

The first thing I would try is this:

I would boot to safe mode (tap the F8 key rapidly and repeatedly from the time it starts to boot til you get a black and white menu with some numbered choices, and when you do, choose Safe Mode and let it continue and boot to Safe Mode. After clicking OK on the message that you're in Safe Mode, and when it's done booting up, then do a normal shutdown, and let it completely shut down.

Then boot your computer and see if it will boot up normally.

Post back here and let us know if you were successful in booting up normally.

Hope this helps,

Wayne

3. remember

remember Thread Starter

Wayne...I tried the above suggestion...no luck. Didn't change a thing.

4. Surreal2

Surreal2

First, if you haven't already done so:

Go to the Windows update site and download/install all critical updates it finds for your computer. You'll have to reboot to finish the installation of the updates.

Then download Spybot S&D - http://majorgeeks.com/SpyBot-Search_&_Destroy_d2471.html. Update it. Then close all browser windows - click 'Search and Destroy' - click 'Check for Problems'. When it's finished, choose to remove/fix all the problems listed in RED (don't remove/fix items not listed in red at this stage).

Download Adaware - http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=506. Update it. Then close all other programs, check the box to perform a full system scan and run Adaware. When scan has finished click 'Critical Objects' tab, select all for removal (right click anywhere in the list and choose select all).

Finally, download HiJackThis - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3155. Create a new folder (ie C:/HJT), move the hijackthis.exe to that folder, double-click to open the program - click 'Scan'. When the scan is finished copy the contents of the log and paste it into a new post in this thread, so experts can help you further. DO NOT allow HJT to 'fix' anything - many of the items in the log are safe and necessary for your computer to work.

5. Flrman1

Flrman1

Hi remember

Welcome to TSG! :)

It is not wise to try and install any Windows Updates on your computer while it is still infected. Please do this before you do anything else:

First create a permanent folder somewhere like in My Documents and name it Hijack This.

Now Click here to download Hijack This. Download it and click "Save". Save it to the Hijack This folder you just created.

Click on Hijackthis.exe to launch the program. Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log. Click "Save" to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.

Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" then Paste the log back here in a reply.

DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

6. remember

remember Thread Starter

it wont let me post the results from the log into a reply, every time i try to send them it gives me a fetal error :(

is there any way to get around this?

7. wdm2291

wdm2291

yes. If you can save the results of the log into a notepad file and save that file onto a floppy that you can view on another computer, then do that (make sure it's a clean floppy with nothing else on it (no other files, and especially no programs)). . and then post it here from that floppy using another computer. .

Another thing you can do is, if you can email it to yourself (the notepad file as an attachment, or cutting and pasting the contents of the logfile into an email to yourself, and then access it from a different computer, and then from there paste it back to this thread. .

Hope this helps,

Wayne

8. remember

remember Thread Starter

still no luck in posting the results of the scan. I don't know what to do. I can get it on the reply part, but it won't send it. Could there be too much info?

9. remember

remember Thread Starter

I am sending as an attatchments. It says done but w/ errors on page

Attached Files:

10. Flrman1

Flrman1

We'll need to transport some files from the computer you are now using, to your infected computer.

Download smitRem.zip and save the file to your desktop.
    Right click on the file and extract it to it's own folder on the desktop.
    So you'll get a new folder called smitrem on your desktop.
    I want you to put that folder on cd, floppy or usb-stick.

On your infected computer, boot again in safe mode and open your task manager again.
    Now insert the cd, floppy or usb-stick where you saved the smitrem folder in your infected computer.

In your Task Manager, click 'applications' (first tab).
    Click the New Task button.
    Cick browse.

Now browse to the drive where your floppy, usb-stick or cd is present (could be A or D or E or F.. you'll see..)
    Search for that smitrem folder.
    Right click on the smitrem folder and choose: Copy

Now browse again via Task Manager to My Documents or Program Files.
    Right click somewhere in there, right click and choose: Paste
    Now open the smitrem folder you just copied and pasted and click the file: RunThis.bat
    Then click open.
    In the window where it says 'Create new task', click OK.

Normally, you'll have to drag the different windows you'll see to left or to right, because normally they will open on top of each other and you wont see the command window the tool starts that is under it.
    You'll see a blue window now.
    Follow the prompts on screen.
    Wait for the tool to complete.

When done, in Task Manager, click 'shut down' from the menu on top and click restart. Your computer will reboot now.
    Reboot to normal mode and post a hijackthis log in your next reply.

11. remember

remember Thread Starter

I tried what you suggested. Now when I try to reboot in normal mode it says "cannot find c:\WINDOWS\mfcjh.exe make sure you typed the name correctly and try again.

That is different from what it was saying before (see earlier posts)???????

12. Flrman1

Flrman1

Does it boot ok now other than that message? Is anything any better?

13. Flrman1

Flrman1

When you booted to safe mode di you go into msconfig and check "/SAFEBOOT" to get it to boot to safe mode? If so, did you go back to msconfig and uncheck "/SAFEBOOT" then restart to get back to normal boot up.

14. remember

remember Thread Starter

yes...I did that. I can only get it to boot up in safe mode.

15. Flrman1

Flrman1

Post a new Hijack This log from safe mode please.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/384129

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice