1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cookie Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by GLYNNROY, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GLYNNROY

GLYNNROY Thread Starter

I seem to be having a problem staying logged on to this and other forums including ebay whereby I HAVE to log on and put my password and user name in....

The forum allows me to log on and put my name in and it sets me up for that forum but when I want to start a new thread I have to put my username and password back in...

I am on the works computer as this forum has logged me in but wont save my cookies so that I can start a thread

Anybody help I am going crazy:D

2. preet_kumar

preet_kumar

GlynnRoy,
    You probably have already done this. If not, click on tools, internet options, privacy, sites and then enter the URL of the site from where you want the cookies to be saved, and click 'allow'.

If you are using ccleaner, and have IE 7 beta installed, the ccleaner removes all cookies inspite of your using the 'options' tab to save cookies that you want saved. If this is the case, then leave 'internet explorer' unchecked in the right hand panel of 'cleaner', i.e. do not clean anything under the IE tab of ccleaner.

Preet

3. GLYNNROY

GLYNNROY Thread Starter

Thanks for trying (y)

Done that mate anyother sugestions as again this is at work as it wont keep me signed in on here;)

4. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

The use of cookies on this forum is optional, but may enhance your experience of the site. Cookies are used to enable functions such as showing whether or not a thread or forum you are viewing has new posts since your last visit, or to automatically log you back in when you return to the site after being away for a while. When you register, you will be given the option to 'Automatically login when you return to the site'. This will store your username and password in a cookie, stored on your computer. If you are using a shared computer, such as in a library, school or internet cafe, or if you have reason to not trust any other users that might use this computer, we do not recommend that you enable this. This forum also gives you the option to use a cookie to track your current session, ensuring that you remain logged-on while browsing the site. If you choose not to store this information in a cookie, the session data will be sent through each link you click. Choosing not to use a cookie may cause problems if your computer's connection to the Internet uses a proxy-server and you share links with other users behind the same proxy. If in doubt, we recommend that you select 'yes' to enable the cookie. After you have registered, you may alter your cookie options at any time by changing the settings on this page

5. preet_kumar

preet_kumar

GlennRoy,
    Do you have IE 7 beta3? I installed it 2-3 days ago. Cookies are saved, but this version of IE does not seem to communicate with the saved cookies. So, I have to enter my user ID and password on all sites now. I have contacted micrsoft IE 7 support for this problem, but the rep today could not solve it. Some body more knowledgable will be contacting me tomorrow. If the problem is solved, I sahll post the solution.

Preet

6. preet_kumar

preet_kumar

The Microsoft support people did not call. However, I reinstalled IE 7 beta3. It is integrated with windows, and cannot be uninstalled from Add/Remove, since it is not listed there. I changed the following registry value:

Under:
    HK_LM\software\microsoft\active setup\Installed components\
    {89820200--ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}
    In the rt hand panel Are:
    Name Type Data
    Default Reg_sz Internet explorer

Installed Reg_Dword 0x00000001 (1)

I changed the value of 'Installed' key to 0x00000001 (0)

And then reinstalled IE 7 beta3. After installation and the required reboot the Reg value had got changed to the original value. The cookie problems were solved. I did not try installing without making it appear that it is not installed. Without change in the value of the 'Installed' key at the above site, it probably would not have reinstalled.

So it seems that the first installation was somoehow corrupted.

There was another problem; the 'home' site could not be changed. At the suggestion of the tech rep, I changed the 'home' site from the safe mode. He said that he can change the 'home' site on his IE7 beta3, and that probably some third party software is interfereing with this function on my computer.

Preet

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482294

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice