1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cookie Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by krayfish, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. krayfish

krayfish Thread Starter

Hi guys, have had this problem for 3 or 4 weeks now and it's driving me nuts, any help would be much appreciated

XP Home, SP3

My PC no longer remembers my website logins (despite ticking the 'remember me' boxes), google no longer remembers my preferences and when I start a browsing session (after a reboot), I get a 'your last browsing session finished unexpecedly would you like to go back to the page you were using or go to your homepage' message desdpite shutting down my PC in a normal manner

I use IE8 mainly and occasionaly Firefox, but the problem occurs with both. On the tools>internet> privacy (and security) tab - i don't have any cookie management options (where is says things like 'allow per-session cookies' or 'allow cookies to be stored on this PC') - I don't know if they have simply disappeared or whether they are no longer there anyway on recent microsift updates

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the following but with no luck: IE8 (went back to IE7 for a while), Firefox, Java (removed all old java files with JavaRa) and have run a few reg cleaners, trojan removers and usual spyware progs (Adaware, Spybot)

I've also gone into the advanced tab in internet options and tried to overide automatic cookie handling, but those options aren't saved either

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Use anything to clean the hard drive like ccleaner?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    - - - and have run a few reg cleaners - - -

Avoid using registry cleaners, no matter what they claim to do.

They're too aggressive and will detect certain VALID registry entries as invalid. The end result is some programs no longer working or working right. And even worse, damage to the operating system.

----------------------------------------------------------------

4. krayfish

krayfish Thread Starter

Yes, I use CC Cleaner about once a month, have done for years, but only recently upgraded to the latest version - could that be a possible reason for my loss of cookie management?

I just uninstalled it and rebooted - but the problem persists

5. krayfish

krayfish Thread Starter

I used the reg cleaners (apart from CC Cleaner) after the problem occured in an attempt to fix it

Something else I did that I forgot to mention , was to uninstall and reinstall SP3. That became complicated as I was getting an error message while trying to reinstall it and had to run a command before the installation was completed. Then IE8 wouldn't work properly as it had been installed prior to the reinstallation of SP3 and could only be removed (was locked) if I removed SP3 again then did a fresh install of IE8 and then ran the command which allowed me to reinstall SP3 for a third time

That was after the cookie problem occured though and didn't fix it (IE8 is running fine now btw)

Is there a way to get my cookie options back, perhaps a programme that will overide my current settings that I have no control over?

Cheers for the advice gents

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

If you tell CCleaner to clean your IE .. and/or .. FF cookies ..
    You must tell CCleaner which cookies to keep in the Options >> Cookies.

To backup your cookies settings ...
    I set my cookies in IE .. and backup my IE cookies ... then Import them to FF when needed.

You can also use the MozBackup backup tool to backup the FF cookies.
    I refuse to install SP3 ... still use IE6 ... and CClean several times a day.

Attached Files:

7. Krrose27

Krrose27

Also I have a weird one for you.

Open your system clock and make sure the year/date/time is correct.

8. krayfish

krayfish Thread Starter

Sorry, I should have said, I don't use CCleaner to clean out my cookies, I only ever use it to scan and remove issues in the registry. I only really clear cookies and delete temp internet files every few months or so unless I have a related issue to deal with

9. krayfish

krayfish Thread Starter

Clock is correct time and date :)

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Using any Registry Cleaner does NO good ... And is only asking for more problems.

11. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

I second this. As is written on this forum so many times there is absolutely no need to clean a registry. There is nothing to be gained and everything to lose as in most cases even if backed up, you will never be able to repair the damage.

13. krayfish

krayfish Thread Starter

Thanks for the links daniel, but still no joy. The main advice given on them appears to be to log out, clear cookies and temp files then log in again

I'm not getting logged out from any site, in fact, I can close the browser window and open a new one and still be logged in. It's happening only after a reboot. As I said in my first post, I no longer have the options such as 'allow per-session cookies' or 'allow cookies to be stored on this PC' anywhere at all within tools .> internet options - it's a complete mystery to me as to where they have gone

14. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

YOU have to CLICK on where it says LOG OUT - then do all the clearing and deleting - THEN you have to LOG IN [input your user name and password], again to get the NEW cookies :p :eek: :cool:

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/822815

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice