1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cookies are being blocked?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by helpme123, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. helpme123

helpme123 Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I have a website which has been up and running for a few years. I rather keep the web site anonymous. In order to access our website your browser needs to accept third party cookies. If the browser blocks cookies the client will receive a message asking them to activate cookies.

We haven’t made any changes on our website in over a year. However, in the last 3 weeks or so I have had a few clients (less than 1%) who have had issues with cookies. From past experience, sample adding our web site as a trusted website in IE solved the problem. But for theses few clients it doesn’t solve the problem. We also tried opening IE in safe mode and the problem persists. What I also found strange is the client has the same problem using other browsers such as FF and Google Chrome.

My question is, are there software programs, anti-virus programs or anti-spyware which by default block cookies. Or this a simple case, where theses clients have a virus on their computers?

Thank you in advance

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

This type of error will occasionally occur when computer date and time aren't correct.

3. helpme123

helpme123 Thread Starter

I verified the date/time. They are both up to date.

4. Phantom010

It may depend on your website, or ads it may be containing. If some clients are using software like Spybot S&D or SpywareBlaster, they may be blocking ads and cookies coming from their huge ad server blacklist.

5. helpme123

helpme123 Thread Starter

There are no ads on our websites. I will see if they have software like Spybot S&D or SpywareBlaster which would deleting block cookies (Live).

6. hewee

hewee

A hosts file may be blocking things too.

7. Phantom010

That's possible too. Like the MVPS HOSTS file, which will block a lot of third party cookies.

Can you have your clients check their HOSTS file?

8. hewee

hewee

Also Spybot S&D has the Globe Host or something like that and it's a hosts file. Some firewalls and or anti-malware programs could also block sites.
    I know Online Armor and Emsisoft Anti-Malware could.

Also if it is in an host file it can be listed twice.
    Like this here where your also have the www. added
    3PartySite.com
    www.3PartySite.com

9. helpme123

helpme123 Thread Starter

Can you tell me how I can check the host file? And what exactly should I be looking for? Thanks in advance.

10. Phantom010

Browse to:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

Click on hosts.

Choose Notepad from the list of programs to open the file with.

Here are the default HOSTS files, depending on your operating system:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083581

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice