1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cookies file missing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jdl, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jdl

jdl Thread Starter

Using XP Pro SP2.

Windows explorer doesn't show c:\documents and settings/jdl/cookies folder when opened from the start->programs menu.

However, Start->Run with c:\documents and settings\jdl\cookies typed in opens the folder.

Folder options->View has the "Show hidden folders" option checked.

I do not have the windows xp disk since the program was loaded from a corporate server several years ago. I no longer work for that company.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Not a big deal since I can access the folder. It may, however, indicate that other problems are afoot.

I discovered this when Counterspy Ver. 2 Beta identified the cookie from CNET Networks, Inc., and I couldn't find it in Windows Explorer.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

As per this statement:

quote I do not have the windows xp disk since the program was loaded from a corporate server several years ago. I no longer work for that company. /unquote

You will need a system disk and also this getting a Windows install disk will make your operating system legal. It is illegal because it is a corporate version not licensed to you and there fore makes it a slightly bit of a problem working on this because if it is not a legal version we are not supposed to work on the problem.

If you have a cookie folder I would suspect that the system is working fine because it only needs one. Please to get legal and purchase a new version of Windows XP.

3. jdl

jdl Thread Starter

Let's correct this perception. I paid for the program when it was loaded. It is registered to me. It passes the Windows Genuine Advantage tests. It is 100% legal and owned by me. The corporation did the same install process with MS Office. It was their way of making sure we were all working on the same sheet of software and that their IT department could render appropriate support if needed.

Now that we've settled that misconception, can anyone help me make my cookies folder visible in windows explorer?

4. Augie65

Augie65

Maybe the shortcut to explorer on your start menu became corrupted. Go to:
    C:\Windows and look for explorer.exe. It will be an folder icon with a magnifying glass on it.
    Right click and drag to desktop and select create shortcut here. Then replace it with the one on your start menu.

5. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Possibly check the properties for the folder and see if it's set for read only and not hidden on the general tab and also not made private on the sharing tab.

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Sorry, I do not think I am having a miss-conception here. You said, "I do not have the windows xp disk since the program was loaded from a corporate server several years ago. I no longer work for that company.

This means you no longer have the Windows software to re-install or otherwise work on the operating system, If this is correct it does not matter what the WGA says with out the software you are slightly illegal and otherwise if you need to use the install software for something you can not do it because you do not have it.

Legal is having the software and the COA (Certificate of Authenticity) with it. Sorry I really think you are still illegal and you will need the software to fix this problem since you are apprently missing some cookie files and just might have to perform a repair-installation and you will need the original software to accomplish this.

7. techy689

techy689

Let's not make assumption's here ozrom1e.

With Volume Licensing there is no individual specific COA, since it is generic to all computers shared by that installation.

8. techy689

techy689

Now, back to your question JDL... how long have you noticed you haven't been able to access this cookies folder via XP?

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm going to close this one. It's clear that this is an illegal installation at this point. A volume license does not survive when you no longer are attached to the entity that owns the volume license, that part is clear. Sure, you can still get updates and pass the WGA test, since the VLK is still valid, but that does not make the installation legal.

Microsoft Volume Licensing Home Page

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!