1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cookies, spyware and other

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by arnomark, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. arnomark

arnomark Thread Starter

have i got too much?

spysweeper, regcure, ad-aware

then its
    Control H to delete my browsing history
    IE - while its not active if i right click the icon and then "properties" all maner of delete buttons appear

do i have to do the whole nine yards?

2. stantley

stantley

Webroot SpySweeper and AdAware are both good anti-spyware programs, but I'd stay away from Regcure. I see many posts that start 'I used Regcure and now my PC doesn't work right'. Registry cleaners can do a lot of harm to your system and Regcure is one of the worst.

If IE is the only browser you use then as long as you regularly delete temp internet files and cookies you should be OK.

Here's some more security info: http://forums.techguy.org/general-security/603629-security-help-tools.html

3. RevisionZero

RevisionZero

Honestly, you could get rid of all of those, repeatedly they all fail for me personally.

Install Windows Defender, it runs in the background and is barely noticeable. Also install SpyBot Search and Destroy, those two along will fix you right up.

However if you more or less worried about preventing spyware rather than fixing spyware, just go download Firefox Web Browser, it will solve a lot of your problems.

Then just run your Anti-Spyware once a week or so, and windows defender is mainly a background app.

Thats my recommendation is will/should also increase computer performance a tad.

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi,

Taking care of temporary and Temporary Internet Files, cookies, etc is pretty easy using a free utility like CleanUp!

CLEAN UP!

I use CleanUP!, and find it an excellent way to clean up temp files.

About every 2 or 3 days, as the last thing before shutting down, I run CleanUp.

There is always a message to log off, after using it, but I sometimes do and then sometimes don't and have not noticed anything different.

Probably you should the first time.

And, the first time you run it, you will see a popup about using it in Demo mode, that is a good idea just to see how much junk you have, but then you will have to run CleanUp again, this time, tell it No, so it does it's thing. You won't get the "run in Demo mode" bit after the first time.

Note: Removing all Cookies will mean that all users of the computer who use sites like TSG that require logging in to an account, will have to manually log in with usernames and passwords at ALL places they have an account....so, be sure everyone knows all their logins and passwords...

CleanUp also has a Cookie filter, where you can enter the ones you would like to keep- you will see the Cookies tab at the top of it's window.

See my screenshot of how to have the Options checkboxes set, for a Custom Cleanup....you will see the various tabs where you can: Save some Cookies that you don't want deleted each time, and other things to customize. I just leave it the way it is in the screenshot.....

Download Cleanup from here

• Open Cleanup! by double-clicking the icon on your desktop (or from the Start > All Programs menu).
    • Click the Options... button on the right.
    • Move the arrow down to "Custom CleanUp!"
    • Put a check next to the following (Make sure nothing else is checked!):
      • Empty Recycle Bins
      • Delete Cookies
      • Cleanup! All Users
      Click OK
    • DO NOT RUN IT YET

Now boot to safe mode.

Restart your computer to safe mode:
    Restart your computer
    Start tapping the F8 key when the computer restarts.
    When the start menu opens, choose Safe mode
    Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
    Log onto your usual account- not the Administrator account.

Run Cleanup:
    • Click on the "Cleanup" button and let it run.
    • Once its done, close the program.

Attached Files:

5. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

"B": Does "Cleanup" do a better job than "CCleaner?"

{redoak}

6. redoak

"a": Here is info re Registry "cleaners." I have a file made up of info posted by knowledgeable folks here at TSG.

{redoak}

Advice and Info re Registry 'cleaners'- excerpts from TSG, 10-07

The main reason they are apt to cause problems is because the cleaners do NOT just clean up stuff left over from uninstalls. They also "guess" that other items need to be deleted, many times incorrectly. They also attempt to "fix" references to files that no longer exist.

As a result, you can end up with programs that no longer work, functions that no longer work and in some cases a PC that will no longer boot.

There is no performance gains to be had by running these things. Windows does not read the entire registry when it is looking for something. It uses the keys which allow them to go straight to the item that they are looking for.

References:
    http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=643
    http://www.computerhope.com/registry.htm

If you really want to see how active the registry is in your normal running environment, download and run Regmon.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb896652.aspx

As you will see, the registry is constantly being accessed. If, for each of these, the entire file was being searched, your PC would be amazingly slow and not responsive.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sorry I am unable to cite and give credit to the authors.

7. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

redoak-

They are just about equal.... might be more features in CCLeaner, but from my experience, more people have trouble with CC than CleanUP. It may be due to changing settings on their own, can't say.
    There is always the possibility that someone has put something by mistake in temp locations and it gets deleted....

Here is what CleanUP, depending on what options you set, can do:

(( **The only Registry items removed, are the MRU lists far as I know!))
    CleanUP removes Regsitry items such as these: Mostly Recent Files opened, played etc:

Now, programs like Easy Cleaner and the other registry cleaners....remove far more, as they check for invalid items in Registry which can be a bad experience! CleanUP is not in that category.

I'm not claiming CleanUP is problem free- for example, it has problems with some of HPs printer drivers, but this will it says be fixed in the next version-

Here's a forum thread at the support site for CleanUP where you can see actual logs of exactly what CleanUP deletes:

http://forums.stevengould.org/viewtopic.php?t=317

The safe settings for each are in posts that qualifed malware helpers post.....often though, others will just post for someone to "get CCleaner" or another utility, without giving any tips about how to set and use the tool... same goes for CleanUP- if used as the standard reply tells you to, it is fairly safe... Here is the features page for CleanUP 4.52

http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=167&Itemid=253

The

8. redoak

"B": Thanks very much for your extended reply to my question. I have been using "CCleaner" for some time, without using any of the options in the left column nor any of the Advanced group. Also, I have been selective in the routine cleaning modes; e.g., I don't clean "cookies."

I will check out "Cleanup" but be careful.

Thanks again, {redoak}

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703696

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice