1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cooling Advice needed for First Gaming PC

Discussion in 'Games' started by bf825, Oct 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bf825

bf825 Thread Starter

I've made the decision to move to PC gaming and am currently looking at a couple custom builds by Australian Based "HardWired PCs." Living in Sydney, this would be a logical choice of manufacturer for me and ive had friends recommend them as well.

So originally i was looking at their "Repear Junior" as it would fit well into my budget of around $2400 including peripherals. However, I really like their "Hush" model and this fits well into my budget as well. There are just a few things im uncertain about and would really appreciate it if someone could help me out.

There are a few requirements that I would need in my PC and these are:
    • i7 cpu (preferably 4790k)
    • nvidia gpu for rendering with cuda cores
    • 16gb ram
    • and adequate cooling since my rendering will drive the system to probably 95%

Here's the "Hush" build i was thinking of:
    case = NZXT H440
    case fans = Corsair Airflow High Performance
    cooling = Noctua NH-U12S multi-socket
    cpu = intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz quad core
    mobo = Asus z97k
    ram = corsair 16GB vengeance 1866Mhz DDR3
    GPU = Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5
    HDD = 1TB Caviar Black
    PSU = corsair RM-750 750W silent 80 plus gold efficient
    Wi-Fi = TP-Link TL-EDN4800 Wireless PCIE adaptor
    OS = Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Monitor = Asus VE248H 24 inch widescreen full HD 2ms LED monitor

And here are my questions:

1. The case used by Hardwired is potimised for silence and in doing so their is limited space for air to enter the case, for this reason i am worried that the airflow will not be adequate. IS this correct? Would it be fine with the Performance Fans rather than the stock fans? and What about the CPU cooler? How does that hold up?
    2. should i, or do i need to, spend a bit more on the motherboard? or is the current one adequate?
    3. What about the monitor? I dont want to spend to much on a monitor and 1080p is fine. Any alternatives you might suggest?
    4. The HDD I've chosen - is it adequate for gaming or is it more of a budget orientated hard drive that will cause load times to be painfully long

Again, any help is appreciated, and any other suggestions for parts or builds are welcome as well?
    Thanks in advance for any help you can give
    B

2. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Looking at the H440, it has a 3 in/ 4 out configuration- more than enough. I assume that there will be 2 in/ 2 out as stock based on the fan prices. I would have no problem with this at all with stock fans, but for an extra 10 bucks, the performance fans are probably a good bet. Generally they will be a little quieter and run better.

CPU cooler- again, for the price i would up to a H110 with the 140 fans- I use one and they tend to be good.Generally it is recommended that the rad is situated on in fans, but I have never found a problem with exhaust fans, and I would assume that this would sit in the roof cavity.
    As far as mobo goes, Intel tend to be the lower spec it terms of stock speeds. However against this, the difference generally isn't enough to make any real difference, unless you want to o/c (I did) or want every last ounce out of your system. I assume you are looking at photoshop or similar for rendering, and in this case, Intel would be rock solid.

Monitor- a 24" is small. Personally I cant really use anything less than a 27- I don't know what options you have, but for any sort of graphics, I really wouldn't go under the 27 mark. AS long as you can get 1080 on it, its really going to come down to looking at it and deciding what suits you best. IT may be a bit mor emoney, but there si little worse than 6 months on thinking that that little extra could have made a difference.

HDD- If you are looking at a lot of rendring/ intensive graphics, go for an SSD- no doubt at all. I have an EVO 1Tb- overkill generally, a 512 (if you can afford it) will do nicely although I wouldn't go under a 256, and a large cap normal HD to actually store on. You want OS, main progs, and rendering on the SSD (my opinion) although main progs depend on whether you mind a longer initial load time- generally not too important.

Generally it looks a solid build- you may hear things about Corsair PSUs (quality has dropped in some ranges) but I have an RM, and cant really fault it. Its big enough for what you want, and solid.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!