1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cooling advise needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moozer, Feb 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moozer

moozer Thread Starter

Hi,

I occasionally experience PC shutdown when playing some games. I've opened up the PC to check cards are seated correctly, etc, and it gets VERY warm (well..hot!!) in there. The source of the heat appears to be comming from the gfx card (nVidia Geforce 5500). Everest and Speedfan report CPU temp of 60+ C. With the side of the casing off - it goes down to about 55C.

Should I consider getting extra fans for the casing or perhaps an exhaust because I don't want the CPU to melt.

CPU is AMD DURON 1.2GHz and I've googled around top find that this CPU can operate at temps up to 95C - what could be going on inside the PC.

Any other specs anyone needs are up above next to my username

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

55C with the case off it pretty hot for a duron cpu. I would do a few things.

1 Have you cleaned the system lately? Give it a good cleaning with a can of air [available at any office store or computer store]

2 If that does not help, I would pull the hsf and clean all parts with 99% alcohol. Reinstall the hsf with a fresh layer of arctic silver. Note I always recommend pulling the board for a socket A type cpu. The hsf can be difficult to mount correctly. With the board in the case you have a good chance of either cracking the die OR getting the hsf installed wrong.

3 How is the case cooling? Do you have at least 1 exhaust fan pulling hot air out of the case?

4 Does the inside of your case look like a rat's nest? Do some work tying up cables, etc. This helps with airflow.

3. moozer

moozer Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

The system is very clean inside, however, I'll blast all the pci slots, etc just in case.

Aida reports the CPU to be running (with case closed) at 64C - the system has been fairly comfortable at this temp, but I'm not happy with that!

YES - the interior needs a tidy up - with a PCI IDE controller card connecting my 2 optical drives and various IDE cabling and the rest - it's quite busy in there.

As for fans, etc, the only cooling I have is on the PSU. The gfx card has it's own fan, but sits very close to the next card on the PCI bus - should I consider rearranging them to allow more air flow?

The heatsink and fan are cool to the touch, even right down to the CPU itself - this is why I don't understand where the heat is being generated (other than from the gfx card)

With that in mind - more case cooling to back AND front? Exhaust?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Move whatever card is next to the video card down 1 slot. If you have no other fans, add an exhaust fan. If your case has a spot for the exhaust [it should be near the top rear of the case.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/547043

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice