1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cooling advise new build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by woodtogo, Sep 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. woodtogo

woodtogo Thread Starter

I currently am using a cooler master centurion 5 case. (terrific case). I am building a new system:
    Running win 7
    intel 4570 i5 processor with stock cooling fan.
    asus z87 pro (v edition) mobo.
    16 gig of ram.
    running 3 hds
    planning on using the intel on board 4600 graphics card
    case has 1 80mm fan mounted in lower front
    1 120mm fan mounted back of case.
    I do cad work and use office software some video editing, and dvd burning.
    My question: do I have sufficient cooling for my new system or do I need to look for another case with additional fans?
    thank-you
    ray g

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would think that is fine. Be sure you route cables behind the mb tray [if possible with that case if not, then be sure you tie them up out of the way] Keep the inside as neat as possible so as to facilitate airflow. Take unused pw supply leads and tie those up. Stick them in an unused 5 1/4 bay.

If your pw supply is 4yr old or older, add a new quality pw supply to your list of parts.

Since you have an asus board, install the asus suite after you get everything done. Monitor your temps with probe [which is part of the suite] Note you do not have to install everything in the suite; just install the components you need.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other word of advise for your build. The support disk that comes with your mb is almost always out of date [in regard to drivers] Go to the support page for your board. Download the chipset driver, lan driver, video driver, sound driver, asus suite, and any other things you might want. Put those on a flash drive, second hd, external or whatever. When you do the install of the os, it makes it much easier to have all of your drivers in one place.

Install in the following order;
    1 Install the os
    2 Update to latest service pack. Disregard if your disk already has sp1
    3 Install chipset or inf driver
    4 Install sound, nic/lan driver
    5 Install video driver
    6 If all is well, activate windows

Once done with the above, I like to make a backup image of the system drive. Use the windows backup, acronis true image or whatever imaging program you like. Store this image on an external, second hd, etc. If you ever need a "clean" install, it takes all of 5 min to restore the image; clean install with activation DONE.

Now do windows update and install ALL critical update. Repeat until there are no more critical updates to install.

4. woodtogo

woodtogo Thread Starter

boy thank you for all the great tips and advice. I really need it since this is my first build on my own.
    when I go to the support page for my mobo to get all those drivers you listed, do I still use the driver disk that came with my mobo, or not?

again all my thanks

ray

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, you do not use the drivers on the disk. The support disk does have the bios recovery file on it in case you ever mess up the bios/uefi. Other than that, what is on the support disk is on the support page [in updated form]

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1132754

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice