1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cooling and Power Supply for Intel Setup?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lax987, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lax987

lax987 Thread Starter

I did look around for this on the web, but i can't find anything about cooling setups needed for certain processors and other parts. The case has a 350watt power supply and a top panel fan and a side fan. Would this be good enough to support the following parts:
    Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-8I915G PRO P4/915G/DDR400/ PCI-E/ A&V&GBL
    Processor- Pentium 4 LGA775 3.0Ghz or 3.2Ghz
    Video Card- SAPP/ATI X600 PRO 128MB PCI-E
    Ram- 512MB to 768MB of Ram
    120GB hardrive from western digital
    No sound card yet

Thx for any help

2. Arcadion

Arcadion

The cooling should be fine, I would be inclined to use a 450W powersupply in that machine though.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Also don't choose a $30 case with powersupply. Cheap cases and powersupplies are just that - cheap. You want a reliable unit that won't blow up or provide less then adequate power output.

4. lax987

lax987 Thread Starter

Well the problem is the case (Aspire Dreamer) has a 350watt power supply and you can't upgrade it on the site im looking at. Also, the other case im looking at, (Enermax EN5688), has a lot more fans, and a 400watt powersupply. I assume these things are pretty hard to put in with all the wires and stuff so I don't think I could buy one from a store and put it in.

5. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

No actually they are fairly simple to install.

There is one 20-24 pin Cable that goes to motherboard, a 4 pin cable to motherboard (some boards do not have this, some do)

And then just regular 4 pin power cables to go to your hard drives, cd drives, case fans, etc

And the powersupply just screws into the place of the old one

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

A power supply is very easy to install into a case. All those wires have to be connected to the motherboard and drives, so you'll be making the same number of connections whether or not the supply comes with the case. The only extra step is screwing the supply into the case.

7. lax987

lax987 Thread Starter

I will open up one of my old pc's and look, if i can't figure it out ill just get it installed at compusa. The PC is pre built, so all i probably have to do is un hook the cables from the old ps and put them in the new one.
    Do u guys think 400watts would be ok for the setup?

8. Arcadion

Arcadion

A 400W Enermax will be plenty for your setup, they're one of the best brands of powersupply.

9. lax987

lax987 Thread Starter

Oh, so a bad companies 500watt ps may produce around the same amount of power as a good companies 400watt ps.

10. lax987

lax987 Thread Starter

Does anyone one else think that a 400watt would be sufficient, I would just like to hear some more opinions?

11. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

400 watt sounds plenty for your rig, I'm using 450 and I have 2 hd's, 2 cd, 2 case fans, and a bazillion case lights :D

According to that one power supply site (I forget the link/name) I'm only using about half of the total wattage.

12. rhorne4

rhorne4

I Just Built A Pci-x Computer And I Used The Antec Neopower 480 Psu In My Rig.very Good Psu And Very Stable But This Is Just My Preference.

13. Arcadion

Arcadion

Bingo. The bad company's PSU may also lack overload protection (i.e. if you try to draw too much power, they blow up, I've had this happen to a cheap 300W) and they won't keep the voltages anywhere near as close to what they should be.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323390

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice