1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cooling Box for Laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hirnsausen, Nov 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hirnsausen

Hirnsausen Thread Starter

Hi,

I am living in the tropical, hot Caribbean, and my laptop very often shuts down automatically to prevent overheating (Thermal Shitdown). This is a general problem here in the tropical Caribbean, many people have the same problem. Some years ago, temperatures here were between 22 to 32°C, but nowadays they are between 30 to 39°C, even our smaller rivers dry out now during the summer seasons.

I created some years ago an orchidarium with a cooling system, the same parts as you find being used in refridgerators and freezers. That orchidarium box is not in use, and I wonder if it is a possibility to use the cooling system to build a cooling box around my laptop, where the upper side of my laptop with the keyboard and screen would be free but everything else would be inside that cooling box which creates cold air.

The question is, what would be the right temperature for such a box to cool down on the one side but avoid condensation (water) inside the laptop on the other side. Should there be a fan inside the box, too? Or should the entire laptop be inside and just cables go outside and connect to an additional keyboard and screen? Is such a cooling box even a good idea?

Please assist. Thanks.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Hi,

There a consumer laptop coolers that are basically fans for the under side of laptops.

3. Hirnsausen

Hirnsausen Thread Starter

Yes, I bought them - the one with three fans. But
    - not enough cooling
    - "Made in China" didn't last long, only one month
    - also tried an exhaust fan for faster hot-air removal, same low efficiency

Thus my question above.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219290

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice