1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cooling for overclocking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rockyyojp, Apr 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockyyojp

Rockyyojp Thread Starter

I needed some tips for overclocking my ryzen 5 2600 to almost 4.1 ghz
    I have a cooler master k500L case
    It already has one 120 mm fan in d rear and 2 in the front . Will it be enough coz the supplier told me that the cabinet cooling won't be enough and you need extra cooling

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, the 2600 is a 3.4gig processor, while attaining 4.1 is possible given quality hardware, you are not going to do it without at the very least a high end heatsink fan. For what you intend on doing, I would go liquid cooling. Coolermaster makes some decent AIO coolers [I am using one on my ryzen 1700X system]
    The specs for your case show it can take up to a 280mm radiator in the front. I would config the cooling as follows; AIO cooler mounted in the front with one or two exhaust fans in the rear of the case.

Next you really need to understand that overclocking is not an exact science; it is a LOT of trial and error. IMO all overclocking should be done manually in the bios then checked for stability using prime95 or OCCT. Again my opinion however I am NOT a fan of Auto overclocking. Auto overclocking very often raises vcore too high resulting in high temps. I like to set voltages manually as well as multi, etc.

I would certainly not attempt 4.1gig as the first setting. Up your multi to 19 for a 3.8 speed. Run the stability test for 10~15min. If you do not get errors, then up it to 20 for 4.0gig speed; repeat the stress test. Be sure you monitor temps while running the stress test. If you find an error and or the system freezes, you can then up the vcore slightly and repeat the test. Once you find where you want to run the processor, run the stress test for at least 30min or so. Some people say 24hr however IMO that is overkill. If the system is not stable, you will see it in the first 30min.
    There is a LOT more to overclocking that simply adjusting the multi. You need high end hardware ie motherboard, pw supply, ram, etc to overclock. Do not think you are going to overclock with a micro motherboard, cheap pw supply, etc.

Remember NO overclock is worth anything unless it is a stable overclock.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226371

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice