Cooling System for a Closed TV Stand

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ForgingLions

Hey there - I just got a new TV stand and I love the aesthetic, but unfortunately it's much warmer than what my Xbox/cable box would like it to be, and I'd like to set up an autonomous cooling system in the back of it.

There are already some nice sized slots for cable management, and I've measured about 80mm of space across the opening, leaving enough space for cables to be wired below the fan fixture. There are actually two holes, nearly 14 inches apart horizontally - imagine them as verticle slots nearly 6 inches tall each, positioned equidistant from the center of the shelf.

But this is as far as I've gotten. Do you have any recommendations on what parts I should buy, about how much I should expect to pay, etc.? Again, I'd like it to be completely autonomous, but if that's not possible, I'll settle for wiring little knobs inside the cabinet to control speed.

Drabdr

Brad
Hello there! Welcome to the forum!

I guess my first question would be to ask what evidence you have that it's getting too hot? That can certainly be the fact. I am just inquisitive how you determine that. In general I would be concerned regarding touch. If your hand seems to think it's too hot, it probably is.

The thing is, you need air movement. I know that' s a "duh" statement, as you are looking to put a fan on. But I'm just thinking... the fan may not do you much good if there is not clear air inlet for the fan, and adequate outlet for the fan. Imagine putting a fan on a closed box. You can feel behind the fan how much air it's pulling (which would be very little). Then, if you punched a hole in the box and then feel the air behind. Obviously there would be a large difference. So you can put a fan on this; but that may not improve the situation much.

So what I'm picturing is a cable box/ Xbox sitting in this small enclosure with very little (if any) ability for air to move. Can you make the vertical slots a little bigger? Is the TV stand pushed too close to the wall?

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
There are USB powered fans for Xbox's that you can get if the Xbox is the main source of the heat issue. You can also get just general USB powered fans that you might also be able to connect to your cable box if it has a USB port like many newer ones do. The advantage I see of using a USB powered fan is that hopefully it would only be one when that equipment is on.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online