1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cooling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Biddlesby, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Biddlesby

Biddlesby Thread Starter

I have a problem with cooling - AMD 2400+ running at 50*C with the case side off.

I want to install some case fans - and I was recommended to have a intake at the front and extraction at the back. The only problem with intake at the front is my compooter is on the floor and it'll suck in a load of dust and stuff.

However, if I have intake at the back then it'll suck in all the air thats been extracted by the psu fan above it.

Should I just have intake at the bottom front with a filter?

2. Alanspatz

Alanspatz

If you are worried about the cpu temp, just get a better cpu fan. If it is the system temp that you are worried about, I like your idea about using the filter. That would work great!!

Leto

3. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

A lint filter (Hacked off a dryer?) would do fine. You might also want to get adjustable fans, as some of those fans can get LOUD!

4. PlasmaEye

PlasmaEye

I have also heard of the CPU fan creating overheating. If you can, tone down the CPU rpm and it could lower your CPU temp. More RPMs means more voltage.

5. brite750

brite750

You should put your pc up on blocks or something not right on the floor. Also if it is on carpeting thats not suppose to be good either, static. A couple of bricks with a 1x10 board would do the trick. the fan/heat thing I'm not buying, your taking away alot more heat than your adding from the fan motor. Think about it, fan motors would just burst into flames and explode if that were true.

6. PlasmaEye

PlasmaEye

Its not the fan motor generating heat, but that there is more voltage being pumped into the area of the CPU. I just heard this from some LAN guys I play with sometimes.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Sorry to say this PlasmaEye but your lan guys are not correct. Number one the connection for the fan is not physically located on the CPU nor really in the immediate area. Number 2 the voltage is not what causes the heat. It is the wattage used by the fan. And that is usually extremely low unless the fan motor is bad and drawing way more than it is designed to. When you slow your fan down, you decrease the amount of air flow thereby increasing the amount of heat not drawn off the cpu.

8. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

I would use THIS ;)

9. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Sorry but that is not true at all. When you lower the voltage you lower the heat being generated by the chip. If this was not true then you might want to contact Micron and ATI because the new R420 and 423 video cards that they are working on will not need a heat sink, and they way they are achieving it is by lowering the voltage to the chip ;)

10. McTimson

McTimson

Yes, more voltage does create more heat, but the point is, the fan's voltage is not directly related to the CPU's voltage. The fan is always running at 12vDC, unless you splice some wires, but regardless, the fan is there to cool off the heatsink....if you lower the fan speed, then the heatsink won't be cooled as effectively, so if anything, you would want to make the fan go faster. But anyway, I would just stick a fan in the front anyway, and just clean it out every so often, or get a filter if you don't want to clean.

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Actually Wet chicken you are right, when you lower your voltage you lower power used also. Thing is not to take the airflow away from your cpu. if anything try to increase it. And that kit you linked is an interesting thing. One question is why are the 3 fan adapters?

12. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Oh no that's not what I was trying to say. It's just that all things being equal, when you lower the voltage the same chip will be cooler. It has nothing to do with airflow. Of course you want that as high as possible. I just ordered a new case fan that has 126 cfm :D The more air the merrier ;)

It has 3 fan adapters because it connects in 3 places. By isolating the air for the CPU you are also lowering the temp in the case so it doesn't just help the CPU, it also helps the whole computer ;)

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Lowering the voltage supplied to the cpu fan will not lower the voltage supplied to the CPU though. So therefore the effect you are going to get by lowering the CPU Fan speed is less cooling for the cpu.

Where did you find a 126CFM fan? And what is that beast going to sound like? I always wanted to set up a mini Airconditioner with a duct to connect to my case! Just to see if I could lower the temp like a refrigerator!

14. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Hmm Refrigerator? How about one of those dorm size Refers? I am going to think about building a computer case out of one of those! Have to figure out a way to reduce the condensation I guess. Oh please excuse me while I defrost my computer!

15. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Yes I know, why would you want to lower the voltage to the fan, if anything increase it :D

Here :D

Not really worried about that because it's a rack mount system which I lined the insides with professional recording studio sound deadening material :p

Funny you would bring that up. Last year I was working on one which used freon, and it was working great. Problem was all the condensation on the lines :p I'm working on a sealed water cooled system next ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice