1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Coolscan III not dectected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by User1212, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. User1212

User1212 Thread Starter

Not sure if this might be better placed in the digi forum.

I connected my Coolscan III to my printer port, alone. I am able to install the nikonscan 2.2 program. However, the program nor the computer can detect the scanner. When I started my computer up it didn't even detect it to register it.

I have a pentium 4 with 224 mg of ram running with windows xp home edition Version 5.1 build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301.1519 : Service Pack 2.

I don't know how to get information about my scsi card.

I have a program called "WINASPI v4.71 Alpha 2" that states "ASPI manager is operating system- and hardware-dependent, written to control a particular host adapter or host adapter family." When this scanner was hooked up to an older computer, that program had to be used to set things up, but it wasn't done by me. Don't know if that is something that should be mucked around with. They also had some thing hooked up to the port on the back of the scanner that looks like the regular printer cable, except that its just the head with a green led on the back and no cable. That and then a regular cable to connect it to the computer.

I've tried it with their setup and with the set up from the user manual and still, no results. Its current in the user manual setup.

So, uhm, help, please?

2. KingCody

KingCody

hook up the scanner via USB cable, if you don't have a driver CD, get the drivers for it from the scanner manufacturer's website

-by the way, you have 256MB of RAM, not 224 (32MB is being used by your on-board graphics controller)

3. User1212

User1212 Thread Starter

hmm, Don't have a converter to connect to a usb port. I don't understand, why do that?

4. User1212

User1212 Thread Starter

Is bumping permitted here?

How can I find out if I have the proper scsi card?

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

You want to first load the drivers for the SCSI card . . reboot . . then load the drivers for the Nikon scanner . . reboot . . then attach the scanner to the drive.

That should allow the operating system to recognize the scanner.

If you do not know what drivers the scanner needs . . take the card out and look for a manufacturer . . go to their website to download

6. User1212

User1212 Thread Starter

You mean.....OPEN the puterbox :eek:

But magneto-demons will storm into it once its naked!!

I have a disk that came with the scanner called "Adaptec EZ-Scsi Lite V 4.01a", you are saying to load that? I don't have anything here that says 'Scanner Driver', it says I only have to 'register' the scanner with the computer, that the computer will 'recognize' it when its plugged in and a screen will pop-up. But that doesn't happen.

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

Once you install the SCSI card, you can download the scanner drivers from Nikon . .

8. User1212

User1212 Thread Starter

I don't have any scsi card to install. Isn't there normally one in there, for the port??

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

If the coolscan came with a scsi card, you can take it out of the old pc . . a scsi card is not standard in pc's . . it has to be added

10. User1212

User1212 Thread Starter

Well, now I'm confused.

So I probably have a PCI card behind that port for the printer, which is what I have the scanner (alone) connecting to?

But I need a SCSI card? Now I have to figure out what SCSI card to get?

Now the "Try a usb" connection is seeming more attractive. Do you think that will work?

11. User1212

User1212 Thread Starter

Ok, i received a response from the people at nikon. They don't support scsi cards on xp. However, their page here says, of scsi cards:
    So that sounds good. Here they are saying that a person with XP needs something callled "windows xp compatible aspi". They are recommending 4.70, however here it looks like the most up to date version is 4.71.2, so I suppose I will download and install that one, after I get that AVA-2906 card and install that.

So, and someone please let me know if this makes sense, I've got to

1. Get the AVA-2906 Card and install it and verify that there are no conflicts and its functioning properly
    2. Install/Setup the ASPI 4.71.2
    3. Download and Install the drivers for the AVA-2906 card
    4. Connect the scanner

Then the computer, upon startup, should recognize the scanner and permit me to register it.

Right? *anxiously looks around with a crow-bar in hand to pry off computer cover*

12. Old Rich

Old Rich

Sounds right . . have fun . .

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436346

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice