1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

coolwwwsearch.cameup/hijack this problem

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Davidlaw69, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davidlaw69

Davidlaw69 Thread Starter

OK, so a scan revealed that my computer is infected with coolwwwsearch.cameup. The scan also identified this with it:
    (SBI $4A5E11C5) INTERFACE
    KEY_CASES_ROOT\Interface\{95B92D92-8B7D-4A19-A3FI-43113BFDBCAS}

I downloaded HijackThis to great a log to show with this message, but I received this message when I did the scan:

For some reason your system denied write access to the Hosts file. If any hijacked domains are in this file HijackThis may NOT be able to fix this.

If that happens, you need to edit the file yourself. To do this, click Start, Run and type:

notepad C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

and press Enter. Find the line(s) HijackThis reports and delete them. Save the file as 'hosts' (with quotes) and reboot.

So I went to Start, but there was no Run (Windows 7). I typed in the string in the box for search programs and files, but the desired info did not emerge.

Can someone walk me through what I need to do?

Thanks.

2. Davidlaw69

Davidlaw69 Thread Starter

Spybot has identified this as the offending registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{95B92D92-8B7D-4A19-A3F1-43113B4DBCAF}

Can anyone tell me if it is safe for me to just delete this key?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972399

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice