1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copied Hard Drive with Paragon

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by drverdog, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drverdog

drverdog Thread Starter

I copied my hard drive from a unit I had, copy is on a IDE Western Digital 7200rpm 200g. I tried to put it in a new unit I built (specks below). When I installed it and tried to run I got the blue screen of death. The copied unit will not boot my new unit. I used Paragon 8x to copy the drive. I know Im missing something but I cant see what? Any help would be appreciated TNX Mike

ECS MOBO pt890-A
    Intel dual core 2.8g
    Kingston 2g 533 ddr2
    xtasy video 256mb
    WD 200g 7200rpm

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi drverdog, and welcome to TSG,

Are the old and new "units" you are talking about two totally different computers with different motherboard models and different microprocessors? Is your operating system some recent version of Windows? If so, the operating system on the cloned disc is configured to work with the old hardware and will give you a BSOD when it tries to use the old drivers with the new hardware.

EDIT: There was a recent topic that had instructions for preparing a hard drive on an old computer to work on a new computer with new hardware. You may be able to adapt the instructions to work with cloning the drive instead of moving it. Depending on the exact type of Windows installation you have on the old computer, you may not be able to re-activate Windows to work on the new computer.

3. drverdog

drverdog Thread Starter

The units are different the original was a HP the new unit is a homebuilt. The OS is win xp pro early edition without sp2.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Sounds like you will need to purchase and install a full version of Windows for your new computer. The version of Windows on the HP computer is most likely an OEM version of Windows that is locked in to that particular HP motherboard. Even if you got the cloned copy to boot up OK on the new computer, Windows XP would detect all of the hardware changes and require re-activation.

5. drverdog

drverdog Thread Starter

I HAVE A OS CD OF XP-PRO. The problem according to ECS is my cd is pre sp2 and will not even boot the new system so I can run repair to load new drivers etc.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

7. drverdog

drverdog Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help .

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592265

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice