1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copied same file a few times on same external hard disk: some copies are corrupted

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Biffons, Jul 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Biffons

Biffons Thread Starter

On an external USB drive, WD Elements, 4TB some files obviously became corrupted after copying them on the same drive (the files are not copied from another drive, but may be such files can become corrupted also). There was not any error message displaying the copying to be failed. I copied the same archive (zip or rar) a few times to another folder and in the same folder on the same drive and some of the copies have a different check sum (the check sum also differs among the corrupted files, so corrupted files have different check sums, not the same wrong check sum) and WinRAR or other unzippers show an error message that a file or more are corrupted when I try to unzip some of the copies. The file size stayed the same of all of the copies.

When I plugged in the USB plug of that drive the first times the external drive was not shown, after a few times and waiting finally it was shown. And some time ago with another Notebook (same manufacturer) I had some kind of the same problem: when unzipping / downloading archives to (or on, I do not remember anymore at the moment) a 2,5 external 640 GB drive (A:) sometimes they were corrupted.

I checked the drives (the 640 GB one and the WD Elements, 4TB) with CrystalDiskMark and CrystalDiskInfo and checked the 640GB drive with HDtune (error scan, the long one, not the "Quick Scan", no errors found.

And I checked the WD Elements, 4TB drive with the extended test (lasting two days and about 12 hours) of Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics - DLGDIAG, so a program developed by / for WD, no errors found:
    http://i.imgur.com/q6s4KXa.png
    http://i.imgur.com/iT4uYMx.png

And with another older external hard disk, 1TB, some weeks ago I had problems also, the cable USB connection to the Notebook (the same with the P: drive) obviously got interrupted 2 times while copying, I don't know why. May be there is a connection to the cause for the problems above. I did not test my other drives with some copying processes, but may be that happens with all of my drive.

What might cause the corrupted files? And how could I correct it?

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Is this the same problem as in the other thread you have started?

3. Biffons

Biffons Thread Starter

The other thread with the link to this thread? Actually this is the real, nasty problem. This is the cause to ask for such programs.

4. KnuckIes

KnuckIes

Does the Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics tool check for errors like the Error Checking tool built into Windows does? Even if it does, I would recommend using the built-in error checking tool, anyway.

1. Press Windows key + E.
    2. Right click on the drive and click Properties.
    3. Go to the Tools tab.
    4. Click Check.

5. Biffons

Biffons Thread Starter

No, it doesn't, I think. It just checks the physical drive.

Obviously it is more reliable. Alright, I will try it, it will last as long as the Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics test has lasted, about 2 and a half days, I guess.

Many thanks.

6. DaveBurnett

The disk maker's tools are the ones to use.
    I would be surprised if they did not have file checking utilities AND disk surface checking utilities.
    It will be the surface checking that is taking the time, unless the file system is really corrupt or it is having trouble reading the MFT

7. Biffons

Biffons Thread Starter

Never heard of those tools. Strange, I cannot find anything with this name.

8. KnuckIes

KnuckIes

It doesn't hurt anything to try it. They've already checked using the manufacturer's tools and it found nothing.

9. Biffons

Biffons Thread Starter

OK, thank you

10. Frost_WD

Frost_WD Western Digital Representative

Hi Biffons,

I'm sorry to hear about such trouble with a WD drive. Sometimes it's the simple things that get us and with that in mind I suggest testing if you will have the same problems with a different cable.
    Are you having problems with two different storage devices on the same notebook? If you have a different computer to test the Elements with do so.

If you are running into the same problems on the same device (notebook) you could try to update your USB drivers (all drivers wouldn't hurt as should be overall good for your system).
    If all the tests do not yield an answer you can contact support here: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=squrRu

Keep me posted,
    Frost_WD

11. Biffons

Biffons Thread Starter

Hello Frost_WD,

Thank you very much.

Yes, that's very good idea. But to reproduce the problem is extremely hard: I tested (again) since about 24 hours (with the old cable) whether the copying is done correctly, and it is, not any single corruption obviously. So if I had done that tries with a new / other cable I now could have thought the cable was faulty.

I did not have noticed any problem of that kind of any of my drives, but that problem is not that easily to notice, unfortunately, so may be other drives are effected as well. I have any idea.

Yes, I have and I can do it, but it is the same problem with trying another cable, I would say.

Actually they should be up to date. I assume these ones are the ones to look for: http://i.imgur.com/zrprzm0.png

Thank you for the link. What could the support do? What should I ask there?

I am really astonished that there is any error message occurring when copying fails. There are some many protocols but for such a simple transfer there is no message for corrupted data / a failing process. Is there a fast way to check the correct processing? To compare by content or check sum lasts very long, I assume, it needs half the time of the copying.

Many thanks again.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  12. Frost_WD

Frost_WD Western Digital Representative

Hi Biffons,

To be honest, it sounds like a cable/port or drivers problem to me. If you have a different cable use it for now and report back if the problems reoccurs.
    If the problem occurs only on one device most likely we should be searching the root of the problem in that device. If you haven't noticed anything similar when using the WD Elements with different computers it might be that the notebook is to blame. Do pay attention if future transfers of data are successful and complete correctly.
    As for the support guys, well they could have some different ideas or could notice something that is eluding us. In my experience its best to get multiple opinions ;). Just explain the problem and see what they think might be causing it.

Keep me posted,
    Frost_WD

13. Biffons

Biffons Thread Starter

Hi Frost_WD,

Thank you very much.

Actually they should be up to date. I assume these ones are the ones to look for: http://i.imgur.com/zrprzm0.png
    Is that correct? How could I find out if a driver or a port causes the problem?

Yes, I will try it. But to reproduce the problem is extremely hard: I tested (again) since about 24 hours (with the old cable) whether the copying is done correctly, and it is, not any single corruption obviously. So if I had done that tries with a new / other cable I now could have thought the cable was faulty.

Yes, I did not have noticed any problem of that kind of any of my drives / Notebooks, but that problem is not that easily to notice, unfortunately, so may be other drives are effected as well. I do not have any idea.

Yes, I will try it. How could do it the best?
    I am estonished that there is not shown any error message / any hint when the copying fails.

Yes, that's really true of course, thank you.

I am really astonished that there is any error message occurring when copying fails. There are so many protocols but for such a simple transfer there is no message for corrupted data / a failing process. Is there a fast way to check the correct processing? To compare by content or check sum lasts very long, I assume, it needs half the time of the copying.

Many thanks again.

14. DaveBurnett

You CAN ask Windows to verify written files I believe!! But it does add time.

15. Biffons

Biffons Thread Starter

Alright, that is good to know.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1151880

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice