1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

copies copies copies

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by abochsner, Dec 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abochsner

abochsner Thread Starter

Stupid question but I am stuck. Everytime I delete a file in windows another file is created. I try to delete the copy and more copies are made. How do I delete without automatic copies?

2. Toddles18

Toddles18

Is it creating the file as soon as you delete it, or is it creating it everytime you startup. Could be a virus, or could be some reference in one of the startup files. Run virus Scanner with updated def's and post back.

3. abochsner

abochsner Thread Starter

Every time I try to delete a file in windows another file is created immediately, one for each time I try to delete. I've run Norton antivirus with a current update, there is no virus. I think it is an option in windows that I have to turn off but I don't know how to do it.

4. hamb1028

hamb1028

Win98. I also have this problem. Did anyone suggest a solution?
    Currently I select and transfer the keeper files to a temp folder, then select all, delete all in the original folder, then move the saved files back. Seems like the long way around.

5. johnpaul

johnpaul

What files are being deleted?

JP

6. hamb1028

hamb1028

Most anything. An example is, I forgot I had downloaded a big zip file...it was updated drivers and etc. for my sound card. So i unzipped it into my downloads folder. Many files...none that I wanted, as I had already installed the upgrade. So when I tried to control/click a batch of these files to delete them, they reappeared instantly as "copy of..." or even "copy 2 of..."

7. hamb1028

hamb1028

Anybody"

8. abochsner

abochsner Thread Starter

Copies are created of any windows file I open. (i.e. in windows folder). This does not happen with program files etc. I'm pretty sure microsoft is attempting to protect the system from changes.

9. johng

johng

I don't know. Have you tried using Shift key when you delete, only a guess.

10. abochsner

abochsner Thread Starter

I can delete one file at a time. When I try and delete more than one file is when the trouble arises.

11. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

When you use the Ctl key to do multiple selections, you have to be careful that you don't "drag" the file, at the same time.
    If you do, you are doing a drag and drop, resulting in a "Copy of ..." file being created.

After selecting the file, ensure that you have completely released the mouse button, before moving on to the next file to select.

You may want to install TweakUI. It has a mouse tab, that allows you to adjust the mouse sensitivity.

"Drag sensitivity specifies how far (in pixels) the mouse must move with the button held down before the system decides that you are dragging the object."

12. hamb1028

hamb1028

Cool. I got the TweakUI program, and changed the mouse settings. then I did an experiment. I created a new file and loaded it with stuff that was redundant. I control-clicked two at a time, then three, then four...it worked fine until six. When I control-clicked six things it suddenly made six more of them. When I stopped at five it was okay and deleted fine. So ...I used the mouse tip, and also from now on I'll be careful to only control-click up to five things at a time. Does your computer work this way? (Using 98 SE)

13. abochsner

abochsner Thread Starter

Thanks WhitPhil!!! I reset my mouse and voila problem solved.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63287

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice