1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Coping with integrated graphics...

Discussion in 'Games' started by Daikliaus, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Daikliaus

Daikliaus Thread Starter

I was wondering if GeCube is a good manufacturer of the Ati cards, and I was wondering if it is nearly good as the normal ATi.

It is a GeCube 512 MB Card Ati radeon x1600

if someone can reccomend one on futureshop or tigerdirect.ca I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

...or If you know of a good site that sells graphics card and ships to Canada for less than 50$ (I mean the shipping) it would be great. I have 2 GBs of RAM so having 256 MB of Shared video memory isnt that bad..I just want to take full adavantage of the RAM, which I cant right now.

2. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

3. Jones

Jones

What's your budget for your video card? tigerdirect.ca usually has decent shipping costs and has a great selection of cards. Also, does your system have an AGP slot, or PCI-Express slot for your video card?

4. Daikliaus

Daikliaus Thread Starter

5. Daikliaus

Daikliaus Thread Starter

I have PCI Express x16

6. Jones

Jones

7. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

NCIX's shipping is a lot less than Tiger's though.

8. Jones

Jones

Tigerdirect.ca has 5.95 shipping on right now on orders over $200.

Just a suggestion. Both companies are good.

9. Daikliaus

Daikliaus Thread Starter

Isnt a graphics cards memory extremely important? Were looking at a 512 MB compared to a 256.

10. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

Ohh, didn't know they were being that friendly now. Last time I went with TD I got gouged badly on the shipping.

11. Daikliaus

Daikliaus Thread Starter

So futureshops out of the question? Or is that Canada only? So no one else knows.

Is the ATi Radeon X700 a better card than the X1300 overall? Cuz the 1300 was bulit as a lowend card and the X700 was one of their high end ones. Im not getting either, just wondering.

12. Daikliaus

Daikliaus Thread Starter

13. Jones

Jones

Futureshop is only Canadian, but they are definitely not a #1 choice for hardware. Prices tend to be much higher, and the selection is somewhat lacking.

In regards to your question about the memory on the card:

The card you originally selected had 512, but the memory bus width was only 128 bit, and it was DDR2 memory. Slower memory with a smaller bus width. The card I linked to had DDR3 memory at 256 bit bus width. Not to mention the card I linked to had a much more powerful processor.

Most games aren't going to benefit too much from 512mb of memory, but they will benefit from faster memory, faster core speeds, and better architecture. Eventually, 256 won't be enough memory for new games, but for now, it should work really well.

14. Daikliaus

Daikliaus Thread Starter

I selected the best deal a fast processor and a memory that won't get outdated any time soon.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=666669698&vpn=100165&manufacture=Sapphire

Ive also been a fan of ATi and Sapphire so Ive decided on this one. Ive heard some great news about the mid-end Radeon X1650 and its pretty cheap and I know Sapphires a good manufacturer.

Thank you so much for letting me know about NCIX.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!