1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

copy 1 file get 2

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bbxrider, Feb 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bbxrider

bbxrider Thread Starter

i recently copied and pasted a quickbooks 2007 company file, in the quicken world its a .qbw
    even though i only selected the .qbw the operation resulted in 2 files being copied, the .qbw i selected and a .qbw.nd
    the .qbw.nd is self described as a 'quickbooks configuration' file.
    i was just wondering how this happens? from somewhere, somehow, the copy utility knows that when copying file 'x' to also copy file 'y'
    is this a windows feature or somehow done by intuit?
    bob

2. Gnomad

Gnomad

Those are created by Quickbooks. It is a Network Descriptor, it is basically a file to help Quickbook users on a network access the Quickbooks file.

3. bbxrider

bbxrider Thread Starter

yes i understand that quickbooks can utilize such things to manage the application. but when i use windows explorer to select 1 single file, invoke copy and then invoke paste, why/how does the windows explorer program, which has nothing to do with quickbooks, get directed to copy and paste an additional file to the one single one that was selected?

4. rbalaji

rbalaji

Are you sure it was copied and not just created by quickbooks when you opened the file you copied? It may contain the same information as the .nd file in the source folder, so it may look like a copy, but it could have been created from scratch.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/800439

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice