Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Copy and paste issue with large number mp3 files

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  SilverSurf 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have 630,000 music files on my laptop all in various folders and drives.I want to copy them all and paste onto a HDD.I use the search function and the laptop lists the 630000 files .But when I try to copy and paste the computer just freezes up due to size of file and does not paste.It looks as though it does get the copy done.I have no way to find the files in batchs and try to copy and paste email..how do I resolve?

#3 ·
The copy and paste is NOT the way to do this.
When on uses copy and paste, data is first copied to RAM and then to the new location.
You have way to much data to do this.
How are you connected to this HDD?

#7 ·
you can organize all these files on laptop first. If they are mostly albums, it is easier to create folders.. what I do is this: name the folder after the performer’s name and album name. For instance, Deep Purple/Machine Head. All the other Deep Purple albums have the same method, album name following singer/band name. You can create folders for genre, and place albums in those folders to make it easier. For individual mp3 files, I have folders named for genre (rock,pop,etc.). I place hundreds of songs in these folders. The key is not trying to move/copy these files onto ehd all together. In my case, my laptop’s ram is only 8 GB. Windows 10 home struggles, and just crawls. I select about 30-50 albums at a time, and copy them. No problem at all. You just need to be willing to sit in front of laptop and take your time. I always do this when I am watching tv so that I don’t get bored!!

#9 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.