1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copy and Paste Keyboard Shortcuts

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by markcz1904, Apr 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. markcz1904

markcz1904 Thread Starter

I am aware of the traditional keyboard shortcuts for copy and paste, such as CTL + C, CTL+V, but I am wondering if there is a way to use a keyboard shortcut to paste a pre-selected body of text. For example, if I type, " Hi !, My name is Mark." Is there anyway to configure a keyboard shortcut that would allow me to paste that phrase without having to keep copying it either by using ctl c or right click copy ?

As far as I understand you can only paste what was last copied.

Thank You in advance !

A

2. valis

valis Moderator

Howdy and welcome. What version of office? Should be able to view clipboard, that holds ten items.

3. CleaverX

CleaverX

4. valis

valis Moderator

Why third party if the os does it native?

5. CleaverX

CleaverX

Because the native os's is very limited in what you can do with it, these clipboard managers are much more useful for people who do a lot of repetitive typing and they work with every application that is aware of the native clipboard. I have no use for them, but I know some people that cannot get through their day without them.

6. valis

valis Moderator

View clipboard is, imo, pretty idiot proof, but who knows, maybe that's just me. I just see it as ultimately easier on the system to let it do it natively. Probably showing my age but if I dont have to use third party I'd just as soon not.

Regardless, we'll see what the OP prefers for their usage.

Thanks,

v

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You can paste whatever you last copied onto the clipboard as many times as you like by using Ctrl-V again and again, is that what you want ?

8. markcz1904

Thank You very much for the responses. I would prefer something already on the OS but the third party software is probably more in line with my needs. I was aware of the clipboard in Office but I want that functionality outside of Microsoft Office. I would like to be able to use it across the board--- online, other programs etc. So if I understood the responses correctly, the third party software is what would allow me to use it outside of Microsoft office, right?

9. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding but the above is part of Windows, you can paste text into any program from the basic Windows clipboard as long as you copy it onto the clipboard first.

10. markcz1904

How does it work ? I thought it was just a clipboard for Microsoft Word. Honestly, I am a novice with computers so I may be overlooking this. Can you explain what functionality the windows clipboard has and how to use it in a program outside of Microsoft office.

11. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I'll try. If you select (highlight) some text then press Ctrl+C that text is copied to the built-in Windows clipboard. Then if you have say Notepad open and press Ctrl+V that text will be pasted in to wherever the cursor in Notepad is positioned and that should work in most if not all programs that can take a text input.

12. markcz1904

OK. Yes, I was aware of this. I was looking for something that would store more than one clip and allow you to store default clips that can be accessed by keyboard shortcuts So the third party software is much more in line with what I want than this.

13. valis

valis Moderator

I recall using up to 24 items in MS clipboard; have they ceased that option?

14. valis

valis Moderator

The default keyboard shortcut may be native as well, but Ive never had that need, to have something permanently reside there.

15. markcz1904

How do you add the default clipboard to the control panel ?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145986

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice