Copy Comments Macro/Forulma

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

seedub

Here is a sample of a vacation tracker that i have been creating for our site. It is setup in the way it is for our business needs. There is more that will be added to it in the days to come, but i hit a snag with what i am doing.

on the period 1-6 tab all the information is linked to the Employee Information tab. With the people that will be using this file i want to be able to lock out the ENTIRE period 1-6 tab from any type of editing, so no one can mess up formulas, ect. But the biggest problem is when someone takes a day off it can be for many different reasons, not just a vacation day, so a comment is added specifying what it is for (on the Employee information tab).

Now time for my question... Is there a macro that could be built, or an addition to my formula.. Everywhere there is a "1" in the Period 1-6 tab i want it to find the relative cell in the Employee Information tab and copy the comment to that cell.
If its something as easy as changing the formula around to add that in that would be best. but if not is there a macro that could be run everytime the workbook opens to do this?

Hopefully i am clear on what i need, and someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Attachments

Hi there, welcome to the board!

Personally I think this is something that needs to be in Access. Do you have the ability to use that application? If not, you might want to think about using OpenOffice or some other database application. Everything you're asking in an inherent ability of Access, whereas we'd need to manually create what you're wanting to do in Excel. Plus it has a great dashboard utility and an easy way to set user rights and login details.

seedub

I was thinkin about that. I do know a fair amount of access, just not a fan of building them.. but here we go.. thanks for the advise

OBP

seedub, do you want some assistance with the Access version?

seedub

Ill always take assistance :cool: I am not the best at access but i might be able to pull it off

OBP, I had started something real basic but got called away and never got far with it. However, I am here too,k so if you want to post a starter, I'll pitch in (not that you need it, but so you can go get some tea or something!) :)

OBP

By the way, it is not finished, I just want to see if you can live with an Access version.

seedub

Ya, i have went to all my superior bosses, and explained to them about Access. I have no problems using it. I do have some knowledge in access, but more so in making Queries and Forms and reports, not so much in making the tables, and linking them properly with all the validation rules,... blah blah blah.. haha

This place is notorious for using Excel spreadsheets as database replacements, i am going to stear them in the right direction, until i came along there was NOONE in this building that knows anything about access, so its now my job to build a bunch of databases.. Time to do some studying.

Going to play around with what you have posted, just to see how it all works, and get ideas on the actual creation of the database.

But so far it looks great!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online